Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2014

So my GO PanoReserve died shortly after it went with me on a trip to the town of Glashütte:

[​IMG]

Since it was obviously home sick, I sent it back for some time at the spa (since Swatch Group won't sell me parts to fix my own watch....very annoying to say the least), and today it just arrived back here in Canada:

[​IMG]

Replaced a few parts:

[​IMG]

Movement looks as good as ever:

[​IMG]

And the front side is improved as well - they took out a small scratch in the bezel, and touched up the rest of the case too:

[​IMG]

Will do some timing checks on it when I have time to see if I need to adjust it at all, and then it will be back on the strap to wear.

Very glad to have it back - took about 3 months to complete just as they had said it would.

Cheers, Al

jwalther and Gavin like this.
  2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 28, 2014

That movement is so beautiful....I would put it as getting closer to ALS finishing in certain places. Glad it is back so soon. I once had a vintage piece take 9 months with Omega lol

DLT222 likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2014

Al do you have any conjecture as to what the cause of death was?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2014

Not really - it was more than due for service so likely just dried up oils...

5. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 28, 2014

Respectable Member Archer

Probably you could not find a watchmaker close to home, to oil your watch.

It is a beautiful watch.

Thank you.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 28, 2014

Yeah, canada has a dearth of quality watchmakers ;)

7. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 28, 2014

Respectable Member CanberraOmega

Agree, including 'Archer Watches'.

Thank you.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2014

I can find one easily - just have to look in the mirror....

However Swatch will not sell me parts for their "Prestige" brands, even though I have a parts account with them already. That goes for all independents actually, which is a shame. It has nothing to do with skills, equipment, etc., just Swatch being greedy. I have many watches in my shop right now that are more complicated than this watch is.

I can assure you that it pains me to have to send my own watch out for service. There are very few watches I will own that I can't service myself - this is one of them as I like it too much to part with it.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, Tinggle and Fritz like this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 1, 2014

I know Archer only from his reputation on this Forum but already have a lot of respect for his work. (Warning to Archer: you'll likely get stuck with my '44 Elgin UDT caliber 539 which, although recently serviced, insists on stopping with the second hand at the 30 about every two days)

Anyway I don't know if I should laugh out loud or cry bitterly at the irony of a skilled craftsman having to send his own timepiece out for a basic service because some banana in chocolate mountain land has decided to sell parts only within the circle of sacred club members. ITS NOT RIGHT!

Al....A question.... the black rubber band thingy that was in the parts returned bag..... is that the rubber band that makes it go???:D

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2014

Well, that's the way of the watch world unfortunately...

And yes the black belt hooks up to the hamster wheel inside the watch...glad they didn't send me back the "expired" hamster. ;)

watchme likes this.
  11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 1, 2014

they cook those and dip them in chocolate

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2014

I prefer them in fondue...melted cheese with some Kirsch thrown in...good recipe for a gut ache!