Forums Latest Members

It's a very thin line (on a lug) between control and loss of it.

1. mr_yossarian Dec 11, 2016

Sit back, get yourself a drink and let me start a tad earlier with what started as an ordinary day.

PART 1
    Last week I happened to have some time to do just nothing, decided to briefly visit that Rolex-Dealer, having fun looking at some of his Vintage crowns.

We got into a conversation, him then asking me ( he is a nice guy, but still a dealer and as such a threat to me) what I'm actually looking for.
    Being so very smart I figured myself on the safe side replying specific and out of his main area of expertise and portfolio.. "Hm, if, actually old Speedmasters, but have already noticed you don't offer any on your Website.."

He then disappeared with "Ah, wait." behind a counter, took something from a drawer and returned.
    I can't exactly recall the order of my reactions from that point on, but "..facets on the lugs.." was the first thing detonating in my head.

With some regained composure I started running through the checklist...
    Case, facet lines fine, very obvious 1,2..no, 3 drawbacks. Service dial, Hands and Bezel, Chrono creep...on the other hand, case itself just minor polishing, a gorgeous sharp Caseback that supported my impression.

..then, opend the watch, 105.012 66-CB, as expected, movement very good looking, serial in range...check. I'm so cool, back in full composure!...then turning the Speedy back over, looked at the "Tachymetre",from there to the 90, to the 70..one more turn..tachy,90,70... one drawback was just a slightly wrong impression because with that condition, I just couldn't be "The DON"...now the "Pro's" started to take over big time..in brief: I was in serious trouble now!

For then, I left the shop and ran..

Cliffhanger-Pic...
    caseback.jpg

PART 2 TO FOLLOW SOON NEXT WEEK, STAY TUNED!

Etp095 likes this.
  2. corn18 Dec 11, 2016

Me want!

3. M'Bob Dec 11, 2016

Is this a pitch for a new HBO series?

4. corn18 Dec 11, 2016

Seriously, if you resist, buy it for me.

5. bill5959 Dec 11, 2016

Thru his IP address I have already tracked him. He'll never know. Don't anyone say anything::popcorn::

mr_yossarian likes this.
  6. mr_yossarian Dec 13, 2016

yeah, probably something like "Columnwheelworld"? :)

Jwit likes this.
  7. mr_yossarian Dec 13, 2016

PART 2 or: who cares about control?

I returned two days later, which was maxing out my patience for and in that case, a bit sleep-deprived....the plan worked out was to pretend (composure!) I'm actually interested, but actually not and I put myself in a ridiculously hard to obtain situation..in other words, I failed.

After a pointless re-checking of the Speedy I drove down the price a bit, even though what he initially asked was already - and considering all pros&cons - low ballish.

There was absolutely no more rational to say no, I could let emotions take over :) A 105.012 that in a way fell from the sky into my hand, my grail! First and last on the moon, fantastic.

I of course prepared myself to live with the wrong dial for a very long time until I could find & fund a correct and optically/substantially matching one.

And, as it sometimes happens that things just fall into place, the very next day fleabay, really the dial..it had flaws, some sort of black spots/markings, either old dry oil or residues of a dissolved gasket ring.
    Wasn't sure if it could be properly removed, but I pulled the trigger because otherwise it looked simply beautiful and pristine.
    Well, it was a very good week, there still is a litlle sort of stain close to 7 o'clock, but it's close to invisible. For the hands, I bought a new set for now, had it a bit in the oven, second best to a vintage tritium set but that must wait until I find one!.

It went to my watchmaker today and will be ready by Monday.

Until then, imperfect and parts and pieces pictures, enjoy!

In dusty camouflage, but Case, Pushers, Bezel tell the truth
    dial2.jpg

some polishing done somewhen the last 50 years. An issue? Nah..
    casecrown.jpg
    caseblank.jpg

Caseback - instantly fell in love with it. Composure is overrated.

caseback.jpg

The thin line between..and a pain to photograph.
    lug1.jpg
    lug2.jpg

105.012-66 CB
    caseinner1.jpg

Columnwheel all right, screwheads totally undamaged. Whole movement in a nice condition.
    movement1.jpg

Dial - This will complement the Speedy very well.
    dial1.jpg
    Dialback looks somehow NOS
    dialback.jpg

The Tritium is still alive for a while. Notice the nasty green Hands. Will need to find a vintage Tritium set.
    nightshot.jpg

The whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

parts.jpg

Killerfinemeshbracelet. Old Forstner, bought it a while ago. Not exactly NASA-Style and only 18mm End-Pieces, but I love its fine appearance.
    forstner.jpg

The Status quo in it's natural sourrounding. Can't await next week, of course.
    fullfront.jpg

All in all, the best thing that could happen to end this Speedy year for me, finally got hold of a very appealing 105.102 for a"reasonable" price, I'm very glad!

Thanks for listening! And appreciated being here!

Ralf

Edited Dec 13, 2016
    ahartfie, TJH, kkt and 3 others like this.
  8. Badwolf Dec 13, 2016

I'm impressed you could wait 2 days, I'd have crumbled instantly.

That will look superb with that dial.

Enjoy :)

9. Vicke Dec 13, 2016

Nice watch as it was, and with the "new" dial, wow!!! :thumbsup:
    Congratulations!

10. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2016

My only question is why did you wait 2 days? That's 48 hours somebody else could have bought that watch out from underneath you. If it was THAT good, you could have shot yourself in the foot and somebody else could have been doing the Happy Squirrel Dance.

11. mr_yossarian Dec 13, 2016

Easy to answer. Because I'm not a Money-no-subject-Squirrel.
    Even if it would have been Buzz Aldrins lost Speedy ( I'd then probably have waited just one day ) it's every now and then not so bad to remind yourself about the significant amount of money spend on the passion.
    And I would have shot myself in the foot then, but that's a different story :)

12. mr_yossarian Dec 22, 2016

Well, I just received it back today and are very happy with the Result. It just feels and looks awesome, period.

The Movement was completly serviced and adjusted, Amplitude way over 320°, according to my watchmaker in fantastic condition as if it wasn't used often within the last 50 years. Glad I bought it, because it is THAT good, as suspected :)

The "baked" luminova-hands will be replaced in January with a matching vintage Tritium set, though now I really can't see if that is cosmetically neccessary.
    Merry Christmas to you all!
    20161222_143301.jpg
    Even nicer without me attached :)
    20161222_142226.jpg

Delroyb and ahartfie like this.