Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jul 3, 2014

Occasionally it's nice to find a watch that hasn't seen a hard time... A watch that you can see near enough how it would have been at the start without those soft edges and sparkled up for shop looks..

This came up for sale recently and even though I'm not a typically a "gold watch guy"... And even more a gold plated one..!! I just had to have it... Not often in this all round nice shape...

It's a reference 145.018 De Ville from the late 60's with a Caliber 861.

I now need some strap options.. At 19mm it can be tricky.

Hope you enjoy the quick iPhone snaps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case has some brown tarnish...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And near the lugs and pushers..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original signed plexi..
    [​IMG]

A good sign it's not been messed with...
    [​IMG]

Happy hunting! :)

mbeast, Mykeys, Mothra and 11 others like this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 3, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg Good job! Your hunting skills are breakneck!!

i love buying tarnished watches!! Love it!! This old Rolex was so tarnished my hands turned green when I grabbed it from Steve @ Tarrytown Jewelers http://www.tarrytownjewelers.com around 15? years ago. He called me at work and I had it that evening. Tge watch belonged to the Director of Winged Foot, a Mr. Joe Davis who has very nice handwriting. He was also (in)famous for being very vocal about not allowing any Jewish members at Winged Foot. You cannot make this stuff up. This wasn't 40 years ago, it was the 1990's. What a dcik. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/nyregion/09summer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Any Duffers here??

It was an unworn retirement or gift watch. I still have the original xxx with every single lick of paperwork.

Steve worked with my dad as a NYC TRANSIT COP (back then, the subway had their own separate police agency) and years later became one of the larger watch dealers (mostly Patek Phillipe) in the Northeast. Isn't that an odd career arc? Pretty cool; at least to me! It's like one "us" made it. A Bronx guy like us selling watches to famous folks. Hahaha Steve is a stand-up guy and he's always "hooked" me up. Anyone here ever deal with him? He's pretty prolific when it comes to PP and all high end watches. He has 250k watches on hand and not just a few. Every single watch worn by every pro athlete in NYC comes from Steve. I have (3) which came from NFL players. I even have (2) signed credit card receipts /cool... I'm not certain but I'd bet he's one of the largest dealers of certain watch makers in the world.

*edit ,,,since I opened the door I should man-up and follow through - if anyone here ever sees something they like or if you want to try and put a deal together and I know you well enough, I'll definitely stand-up for you. I promise you'll get the best price possible. I've "met" a lot of nice guys here (a couple not so nice) and for the most part everyone is serious with collecting. What you see on his website is probably 5% of what he has...his Patek Phillipe collection is probably one of the deepest and varied in the world. Steve also has a literal ton of Rolex watches on hand. Last time I was there he must had 50 Daytona's on one shelf, Doh!

His shop is right in the middle of Scarsdale. It seems like half the CEO's of fortune 500 companies live in Scarsdale. I think this is important because a surprisingly large percentage of his watches are complete sets. He's a tough guy (a real life tough guy) but a fair guy.

I aped this from his website; refreshing language in this horror show PC culture we've devolved into:
    Tarrytown Jewelers has been providing watch repair service to the trade and individuals for over twenty years. Our staff of European trained watchmakers engage a work ethic not often seen in today's instant gratification society. We offer an approximately seven to ten day turn around on the servicing of most watches which is lightening fast when compared to the time it takes most dealer representative shops to complete their work, which is usually five to seven weeks. Also, our prices are considerably lower and all work is done on our premises by our master watch makers. Our watchmakers utilize the latest and most sophisticated equipment to insure proper waterproofing and timekeeping.

So, in conclusion, if you just happen to be looking for a PP split second chrono, I promise I can get you the best price possible. if you're overseas shoot me a p.m . and I'll explain our relationship and take if from there . Just for reference: (2) years ago I closed our books out on my business and it was decent year. My operations manager always admire(s) my Rolex Submariner(s). Steve sold me a mint+ 1992 TT Sub complete set; it even had the original anchor and all rolex service records for $4475, all- in. Gold was $1900 an ounce that summer and even pawn shops were paying close to 5g's for TT subs.

I think I might have to get business cards or something hehehe - I'm sorry if I put it on a little too thick. It's that I get a little over-excited when i realize that I have such a good connection to this great dealer. If I bought half the watches Steve told me to by over the last 22 years, I wouldn't need a 401k for retirement. He told me a million times not to waste my time and money on certain watches. If I had a dollar for each time he told me to dump all my "losers" and purchase specific white gold PP complicated references,,,,,watches that were ~$17,000 17 years ago, are now worth ^$117,000. I know everyone says watches aren't for investing but +19% annual returns for a long period of time like 17 years is serious investing. Those are the sort of returns which made Stevie A. Cohen a 10 billionaire. At least I listened "a little"...

Shoot me a pm if you need any help :)

-Rich
    Zzzzzzzzzzz 'Night

/quality rant!

driver1969, marturx, pitpro and 2 others like this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Jul 3, 2014

lovely chrono there, I'm jealous.

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 3, 2014

Dablitzer and citizenrich like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 3, 2014

6. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 3, 2014

Do a search on Cousins UK for 19mm wide straps. Your DeVille is a really elegant design. I have the 860 brother and it is my favorite "elegant casual" style chronograph. Maybe an alligator strap would match?
    Clipboard01.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  7. Dablitzer Jul 3, 2014

Thanks! I have seen yours and it's superb! I tend to like quite soft and thin straps for these kind of watches.. Some alligator straps are very stiff and too thick if that makes sense.. Hard to know without trying them for comfort. I had a nice keleran alligator once.

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 3, 2014

I agree that you need to have a "slim" / unpadded strap. Clipboard01.jpg
    I think this variant should fir your requirements in black or brown?

9. Dablitzer Jul 3, 2014

That's nice! I like black but for more wearing daily I would go with the brown.. I think!

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 3, 2014

How about a lizard?
    http://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/DiModell-Lizard-Stitched-Black-R2.html
    http://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/DiModell-Lizard-Stitched-Brown-R2.html

I have a diModell aligator on one of mine and it is very well made and comfortable.

11. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 3, 2014

I think brown on a gold vintage watch like yours will be very nice indeed!:thumbsup:

12. Dablitzer Jul 3, 2014

Too much choice!! ::popcorn::

Northernman likes this.
  13. Hijak Jul 3, 2014

That's exactally what's on mine. Soft pliable and on the thin side.:thumbsup:

14. michael e Still learning. Jul 3, 2014

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brown 19mm (16mm) Calf

Cousins ref: S33793
    • Louisiana Alligator Grain
    • Padded with Stitching
    • Each Strap is Supplied with Two Buckles (Stainless Steel & GP)
    • Finest Italian Leather

I use these. Nice straps and will look great on that watch.
    Cheers Mick Brown 19mm (16mm) Calf S33793 £8.29 EACH 1 Return

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2014

I actually like that tarnish, kind of like dust on a bottle of vintage wine it adds to it and looks cool imo

Dablitzer likes this.
  16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 3, 2014

Superb chrono Alex.......great catch :thumbsup:

The dial is killer:)

rhetoric and Dablitzer like this.
  17. Dablitzer Jul 3, 2014

Me too...:) I dont think I will polish it away....

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 3, 2014

Tarnish in case - great!
    Tarnish in dial - much less so.
    Tarnish in movement - usually bad!

19. mac_omega Jul 3, 2014

I also love case tarnish and I will leave it as is...

Movement tarnish not always means bad - I have seen a couple of watches where the plates were silvered and not nickel or rhodium plated - and as we know silver often tarnishes heavily and tends towards black. I have seen an Omega 33.3 movement with perfect shiny steel chronograph parts before a black tarnished (silvered) "background"

Dablitzer likes this.
  20. marturx Jul 3, 2014

Congrats Alex! Nice watch, which fits you like an hand in a glove :thumbsup:

Dablitzer and rhetoric like this.