Forums Latest Members

It's 4:00am and I am awake obsessing about an El Primero

1. Shibata Dec 27, 2016

I stopped into a store tonight with the intension of buying a Speedy Pro. I recently got into watch collecting and right from the start that was the watch I MUST have. During my obsessive month long research binge I stumbled upon a few other watches that I really like as well. The El Primero Pilot being one of them. The model I like is the 03.2117.4002 that was made from 2010-2013 I believe. As I was in the store looking at the Speed-master tonight, I found myself thinking about the Zenith. It was then that I realized if I got the Omega I would always be second guessing weather I should have bought the Zenith instead. I haven't had the opportunity to see the Zenith in person and probably would have to buy it used sight unseen.
    Have any of you owned both a Speedy and an El Primero? How would you compare the fit and finish between the two? I seem to have convinced myself that the Zenith is a level above without ever seeing one. Is there any truth to my preconceived notion?
    I have attached a picture of the model I am obsessing over. Any thoughts on this particular model would be greatly appreciated as well.

PS. I hope I don't wake up tomorrow and find that my half asleep middle of the night post made no sense. If so, I apologize in advance :)

El Primero.jpg

Edited Mar 13, 2017
  2. Frederic_gva Dec 27, 2016

Hello Shibata,

Life is so tough.... :whistling::whistling:

I love Zenith watches, in particular the El Primero movement. Originally released in 1969, it was the 1st Automatic Chronograph movement ever made. It beats at 36'000 per hour, which give more accuracy compared to other stabdard movements that beat at 21'600 or 28'800..

In terms of movement, I consequently consider (IMHO) the el primero above the Calibre 861 from the Speedmaster. I have 3 zenith watches, plus a Rolex Daytona ref 16520 that also has an el primero movement. (see the photo of the zenith I wear today). I also have 2 Speedies that I like very much (one with a 321 calibre and one with the 861)

Now you don't only buy a watch because it has a nice movement inside... Follow your guts and your instinct. What I would do : wait a few days, think about it, do not hurry (I guess you don't need a luxury watch to live....) and then take your decision. You can't go wrong with a Zenith or an Omega... I quite like Zenith as well because it is not as famous as Omega or Rolex, and when you see someone with a Zenith, I say to myself that the guy who owns it knows a bit more about watches than "normal people"

keep us posted

20161227_124258_resized.jpg
  3. Jaacck Dec 27, 2016

I have a speedy, personally the Zenith doesn't do anything for me. The speedy however makes me grin everytime I glance at it ;D

hermes4 likes this.
  4. jud Dec 27, 2016

Man, you've got the bug BAD. If you have convinced yourself to buy the Zenith, that is the one to get, otherwise you will always wonder what if...

5. Shibata Dec 27, 2016

Thanks for the replies!

Frederic, Waiting a few days is good advice. The Zenith that I have my eye on doesn't come up for sale all that often. The only one that I know of now has a blue face and is selling for quite a bit more than I have seen others go for. So I will sit back and patiently wait for the right one to show up. Although a blue face El Primero would compliment the Speedy that I am sure to eventually get :). Ultimately I would like get both.

6. alfanator Dec 27, 2016

Zeniths are excellent! As Frederic pointed out, it is more of a watch savant's watch than Omegas. Like Rolex, just about everyone knows what an Omega is. You kinda need a watch nut to understand the Zenith, and the EP movement. If you are contemplating retail on one or the other, you could probably get both on the secondary market, slightly used. And if you tire of one, you could move it along for break even or slight loss.

Shibata likes this.
  7. kurtj29 Dec 27, 2016

I have both a Zenith El Primero Striking 10th and an Omega Speedmaster. The fit and finish of the Zenith is just on another level in my opinion. Just an absolutely beautiful watch. But that being said I do put on my Speedmaster and will wear it for a week at a time - it is just a great watch. The only answer, the only solution, the only way to be happy - BUY BOTH. You only live once.

IMG_1867.jpg

8. jcs2000 Dec 28, 2016

Speedy and Zenith El Primero owner here.
    Definitely a niche brand but a solid watch with an interesting history.
    Go for it.

Shibata likes this.
  9. Shibata Dec 28, 2016

Thanks for the info and advice!
    I will definitely have to have both... Eventually.
    Today I am leaning toward getting the speedy first. It is the watch that caught my interest and brought me into watch collecting. It seems fitting that it should be my first luxury watch. If I go that route I will plan on a Zenith as my next one and spent the time in between learning everything I can about the El Primero movement.

kurtj29 likes this.
  10. kurtj29 Dec 29, 2016

Sounds like a good plan. Can not go wrong with a Speedmaster. If you are just getting into watches then take your time.

11. speedy57 Dec 31, 2016

Both great watches, but I'm Team Z.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Mad Dog, George.A, kurtj29 and 2 others like this.
  12. speedy57 Dec 31, 2016

The first two are mine. The last one "classic cars" is my next purchase.

13. Frederic_gva Jan 1, 2017

So why is your profile name speedy57 ? ;);)

hermes4 likes this.
  14. speedy57 Jan 1, 2017

Started out as a Speedy nut, then LATER discovered Zenith. Always been a Rolex nut too. The OP seeks outside thoughts, just like my post in another thread. Just other thoughts to consider in the decision making process. Hope I helped a little.

Frederic_gva likes this.
  15. Frederic_gva Jan 1, 2017

Omega and zenith are both my favourites.... though I start liking Rolex now

16. speedy57 Jan 1, 2017

All three are great watches with excellent quality. Hard to go wrong with them.

17. Frederic_gva Jan 1, 2017

I just did a Sunday walk in the Vallée de Joux, where most of the swiss watch making started 200 years ago... you can see all the famous brands like Breguet, Blancpain, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, ETA, Jeager LeCoultre, etc...

Amazing to think that those luxury watches are made in such a peacful, quiet and remote location...

DSC_9670.jpg DSC_9673.jpg
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 1, 2017

I have a 69 zenith and love it. Personally that model is better finished IMO than the speedy by far but...

That being said the Speedy does not need that level of finishing. Its whole point is the simplicity and perfection of a watch that has a perfect. PERFECT. Balanace of form and function.

Furthermore between the speedy and the Zenith model youre looking into I actually like the Speedy better.

IMG_0140.JPG
    gostang9, Mad Dog, Tritium and 2 others like this.
  19. plexyforever Jan 1, 2017

I really love my kids equally.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 1, 2017

I do LOVE the watch you first posted. Gorgeous, and it's a lefty :thumbsup:.

[​IMG]

Now I want one, too!

Shibata and Mad Dog like this.