Itching for an Omega diver

Ok so I've had an itch to scratch and a birthday coming up. I'm debating between SMP diver 300 summer blue from my local Omega boutique, a preowned SMP diver 300 blue dial for a lot less, the summer blue PO. I'm also not sure if I'm better off waiting for Watches and Wonders and see if Omega drops anything around that time. I would love to see an updated version of the 165.024 with a smaller size/thickness than the current models. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

Only you can decide on what watch you prefer but, if Omega were to drop a new or updated diver at W&W my guess is it wouldn’t be available straight away.

I'd suggest the Seamaster 300 1957 Trilogy, if you can find one in your price range. There have been a few sold here in the past couple of years, including the one I bought. I highly recommend it as an option for you to consider.

Ok so I've had an itch to scratch and a birthday coming up. I'm debating between SMP diver 300 summer blue from my local Omega boutique, a preowned SMP diver 300 blue dial for a lot less, the summer blue PO. I'm also not sure if I'm better off waiting for Watches and Wonders and see if Omega drops anything around that time. I would love to see an updated version of the 165.024 with a smaller size/thickness than the current models. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

If you are interested in both the summer blue SMP and an updated 165. 024, why not look at the summer blue heritage? It actually wears very comfortably and quite thin, and is a combination of both of the things you are looking for. If you haven't seen one in person.. it's a gorgeous watch with a cryptic dial that is more subtle than its flashy SMP summer blue counterpart.

That said, I have heard that the summer blue production has been discontinued at this point and whatever is left is left (that may be rumor though). If you are concerned with thickness I would say it's a rough tie between the SMP and Heritage (despite being 0.2mm thicker, the heritage feels less chunky on the wrist. This may come down to the height differences in the crystal). I've heard that the planet ocean wears very well for its thickness but it is definitely a puck of a watch in some ways.

Just something to consider!

A pic of my Trilogy version for reference (it's probably rude not to include a photo around here!) ...

At least, I wouldn't buy the current SMP 300 right now. It's already hard to sell back. And if a new model comes around in a fews weeks, you'r pretty stuck with it.

I dislike the regular 300. Too big, too hight. So I'm not good advise anyway. But what I can clearly read in your text is that nothing really pleases you. Buy an electric train and wait 😉

Calamine lotion can help with an itch! It’s no where near as addictive as scratching the itch with a watch which invariably leads to more itching and more watches

At least, I wouldn't buy the current SMP 300 right now. It's already hard to sell back. And if a new model comes around in a fews weeks, you'r pretty stuck with it.

Have to disagree here. I recently sold my black one (on rubber strap) to Watchfinder here in the UK.

Initial price offered was good and transaction completed within a week.

Your list includes 3 very different looking watches with the similarities being that 2/3 are SMPs and 2/3 are summer blues. Seems that the one that would check the most boxes is the summer blue SMP.

Nevertheless, your post shows that you're not sure about what you want (even though you might be getting close). Don't take this the wrong way, but IMHO, you are not ready to buy.

The watch of choice should call to you like having a crush on someone - you can't get it out of your head day and night. If that allure is not there, you will likely buy a watch, get over the initial thrill and then start itching for something different. You will either sell the first one for a heavy loss to fund another purchase or you'll start spending a significant chunk of money accumulating a watch collection that doesn't mean much to you.

I am assuming that your contemplated purchase would be financially significant for you. If money is no factor to you though, then by all means spend away at your whim.

Your list includes 3 very different looking watches with the similarities being that 2/3 are SMPs and 2/3 are summer blues. Seems that the one that would check the most boxes is the summer blue SMP.

Nevertheless, your post shows that you're not sure about what you want (even though you might be getting close). Don't take this the wrong way, but IMHO, you are not ready to buy.

The watch of choice should call to you like having a crush on someone - you can't get it out of your head day and night. If that allure is not there, you will likely buy a watch, get over the initial thrill and then start itching for something different. You will either sell the first one for a heavy loss to fund another purchase or you'll start spending a significant chunk of money accumulating a watch collection that doesn't mean much to you.

I am assuming that your contemplated purchase would be financially significant for you. If money is no factor to you though, then by all means spend away at your whim.

Interesting analysis. But they are all blue and all Omega divers. Isn’t the PO the odd man out?

Interesting analysis. But they are all blue and all Omega divers. Isn’t the PO the odd man out?

Although it is also a diver, yes it is the odd man (watch) out.

The PO Summer Blue is gorgeous. If I didn't have such a huge wrist - or if they had offered it in 43.5mm I would have gone for it hands-down.

If it is proportional to your wrist size, it would be an excellent choice.

yes

Shrug, if you tried on all three and didnt really have a "this is the one" moment, then I'd pass or at least wait to see what else comes out this year.