Forums Latest Members
  1. kippyk Sep 19, 2018

Just got back from a vacation in Italy. I noticed that people in Italy really like to wear nice watches. Every salesman in a decent store wore an upscale watch. I noticed commuters on trains wearing nice watches as well. Most surprising, I noticed at least 5 younger people wearing vintage (or homage) digital watches with metal bracelets.

2. joeshoup Sep 19, 2018

Thanks for the report - I used to live in Italy, and I was amazed what care men took to dress well and look good! Stuff that often reads as 'gay' in the United States somehow comes off as very masculine there (cravats, brightly colored socks, custom-made shoes, tailored trousers, etc). When I moved back to California I had to downshift my wardrobe a bit since I constantly felt overdressed. I lived there before I was interested in watches, though - I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm there!

Did you happen to find any nice places to shop for timepieces? I'll be in Bologna for work next spring...

3. kippyk Sep 19, 2018

I did not really want to bore my wife with watch shopping. I let her shop for purses in Italy so I can build up "good husband" credits to cash in at a later date :). I went to Bologna for 3 days. I suggest that you look for watches on chrono24, and you will see many Italian stores pop up. Look up their addresses, and there will be several in the Bologna area. I tried that in the off chance that there was a great vintage piece in the area that I liked. My plan was to show up with cash and play hard ball. Unfortunately, there was not a must-have watch there for sale when I was looking.

Bologna was great. I recommend going to Modena and Parma which are both nearby. Pasta, cheese, pizza, wine, prosciutto, gelato, and coffee. What's not to love?

Waltesefalcon, MaiLollo and albertob like this.
  4. mancio Sep 19, 2018

Since i'm italian i can only confirm what are you stating.
    I would say that the musta is alway a Rolex (datejust usually) when you start to being a little bit established (if you are into watches, of course).
    But in recent year wearing hi end watches is becoming dangerous in certain city (asking to couple of my friend in Rome who needs to be EXTREMELY carefully when they wear their Rolex).

For nice shop in Bologna i can't really help, but if eventually you are going to Rome i have some nice suggestions :)

5. kippyk Sep 19, 2018

My AirBNB host in Parma wore a Rolex. Before I went to Italy, I read some guides on how to dress so you do not look like a tourist in Italy. Wearing a nice sport watch was mentioned.

Uniqez, albertob and mancio like this.
  6. mancio Sep 19, 2018

Ah, this is the first time about this!Nice move
    Yes, wearing a nice watch helps but if you are dressed stilishly......well that is more than enough ;)
    What was your choice for watch?

7. kippyk Sep 19, 2018

I wore a vintage 70's Squale. I think Squale had a strong presence in Italy in the 70's so that's why I chose it.

[​IMG]

IMG_20180919_225200.jpg
  8. albertob Sep 20, 2018

I’m from Bologna (but currently based in northern EU) and reading this post made me a bit nostalgic :)

Yes, it is true that we love style and good watches!

As already mentioned, a must have is a Rolex. Many opt for DJ/SUB. Usually a middle-class family buys it to their kids when they earn a degree as a milestone present. Many of my friends got it.

According to many, when you do great in business you switch to the Daytona. The latter is a status symbol in Italy: either you are a VP somewhere or an entrepreneur who is doing great.

In bologna is not becoming dangerous to wear a luxury watch. Actually I’m always surprised by how many people have one (even shop assistants sometimes).

I personally wear vintage omegas/zenith. But as of now, as I’m doing quite well in my job (just got a promotion to lead) I think I’ll aim to a vintage Rolex as next entry in my collection.

Some tips below about bologna and my region in particular:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/drosen...emilia-romagna-the-secrets-behind-the-secret/

Regarding shops, I recommend all the ones around galleria Cavour, close to piazza maggiore.

Cheers,

Alberto

Edited Sep 21, 2018
  9. Speedmasterfan88 Sep 20, 2018

Just a tip from personal experience:

Don't solely rely on what they have put up on Chrono or their Homepage.

Many dealers have a lot more stock than they show on Chrono, most of the times it's watches that just got in and they haven't had the time to photograph it and put it online.
    Thiose pieces usually get picked up by regulars from the area that visit the stores just to see what's new.

I have to agree that Italien Men (and women) take great care of their style and watches they wear. I recognize this everytime I'm in Rome or in the Meran / Bozen area. They seem to pull it off so effortlessly, without looking flashy or like a try hard.

kippyk and albertob like this.
  10. kippyk Sep 20, 2018

Great tip! Their best pieces would get offered to the regular clients. Desirable items at decent prices would get grabbed early.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  11. isaac.owen.nz Sep 20, 2018

Spent all August there between Rome, Chianti/Tuscany and the north east.

Agreed the italians are the most stylish citizens I've seen, everyone is impeccably dressed and done up. It's very nice but does make you feel very slobby... I still don't know how they aren't sweating bullets in the 30+ Celsius heat and wearing pants, a long sleeve shirt and shoes. I was dying in shorts/t shirt and sandals...
    Also found it interesting that of all the dealers on chrono24 I didn't stumble across any physical shops (except on the bridge in florence) and I was looking around for them in every city I visited.

Beware in Sienna, there is some truly stunning females that live there (and guys too!)
    Loved Italy a lot!

Speedmasterfan88, rob09 and albertob like this.
  12. Uniqez Sep 20, 2018

No cargo shorts, over-sized T-shorts and baseball hats backwards.... oh, no flip flops either))))

13. Uniqez Sep 20, 2018

I've seen a lot of GMTs 2, Subs, Speedmasters and Longines. Also seen a lot of digital watches (a lot of gold color) on the younger folk's wrists.

14. c5driver Sep 20, 2018

Interesting topic! I'll be in Milan soon and will be looking into some shops for vintage Speedy's. I'll be bringing all chronos... two JLC's, an IWC, and 3 Rolex's.

15. Uniqez Sep 20, 2018

Me window shopping in Italy.
    Richard Mille advertising right, when you walk into Malpensa airport.
    Guy spotted wearing speedmaster...
    I love Italy!

20180526_222548.jpg 20180530_162450.jpg 20180602_201153.jpg 20180603_131813.jpg 20180606_144836.jpg 20180606_162733.jpg 20180607_183623.jpg 20180607_183740.jpg 20180607_184049.jpg 20180607_191904.jpg 20180607_191900.jpg
    Speedmasterfan88 and albertob like this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Sep 21, 2018

It's nice to know that there are places that still appreciate a good watch and where people dress like adults.

I dress decently (I never wear shorts or sandals and mostly wear a button up shirt when I am leaving the house) but I stick out no matter where I travel to, the boots and hat almost always make people think I am from Texas. I do fit in decently in many parts of Canada and Mexico though.

17. albertob Sep 21, 2018

D1CC2D5D-C13B-4840-BEEF-011FCAB4B32E.jpeg 2B37D24E-6971-4BC7-9021-907C91730F9B.jpeg

Cheers.

18. eatabagel Sep 21, 2018

I love Italy, and I love how men there care so much about their dress.

I've lived in California for 15 years, after living in NYC. Most other NYers I've seen have downshifted their wardrobes, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I say keep on caring about your clothes. There is no such thing as overdressed, but there is definitely such a thing as underdressed. I feel that overdressed people doing laid back things, look like they're laid back but are doing so classily.

19. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 22, 2018

I travel for work to Germany, Italy and France each year... leat year exited via Milan having spent a couple of downtime days there prior to comng home ... saw an absolute boatload of vintage purveyors ... so many stunning pieces but imo at the top end of market pricing. I really enjoyed the city too ... it far exceeded my expectations

Speedmasterfan88 and albertob like this.
  20. maanu May 7, 2019

Most of them landed from Italy.

E38670F3-19A7-48BB-9292-055B115226F3.jpeg
    micampe, Larry S and albertob like this.