Forums Latest Members
  1. river rat Apr 20, 2017

I guess you can call this unique no other deck watch is made this way only the Italians made them large were they fit in a outer case to be ether bolted the chart table or bulk head. Only saw a few on the forums and a few that sold at auction houses. So I guess these are rare. I got this from a seller who sold this for his uncle in Italy and he put a ad in the MWR PX and I took a crazy chance and bought it I did pay extra for FedEx I just had that fear it would disappear on it's way to the USA. And now glad I took the chance because I received it the other day. I have never seen a Italian Navy Chronometer ever so wondering if this was what they used for Navigation. Now if any one have more info on these please let me know a few photo's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a cool link I found about these I got it translated
    https://translate.google.com/transl...nes-und-Lemania-ISTITUTO-IDROGRAFICO-R-MARINA
    Any one ever heard of Brevettato there the company that made the outer case. Since I spent a lot of time on the bridge when in the US Navy I collect any thing navigation related so had to have this. Plus military issued wrist watches are getting out of my price range had to get my watch fix so picked this up.

Edited Apr 20, 2017
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 20, 2017

Cool Clock!

Just a guess, but I think Brevettato would translate to the french word Breveté. This again translates in to "patent(s)" in English.
    C.Barone would be the maker of the case holding the patent.

Movement serial puts it to the mid 1950s (1953-55 according to my knowledge).
    I can not make out the caliber number under the balance? If you could list it I would be grateful!

Some more info:
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?141908-Italian-Navy-Lemania

watchknut likes this.
  3. river rat Apr 20, 2017

That link is my post over at the NAWCC message board. I think your right on the manufacture date. I saw a French issued Navy Auricoste deck watch with same Lemania movement with decom papers with issued date of 1954 the dial and hands just look like 1930-1940 I was hoping it was older.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 20, 2017

Serial numbers are +/- a couple of years. Not from the 30s or 40s for sure.

5. river rat Apr 20, 2017

Thanks Nothernman for helping me narrow down the date of manufacture. It's like a puzzle when you get a watch that there's not a lot of info on. Seems like some of the cooler Italian issued wristwatches like the diver and pilot watches get all the attention but there military issued pocket watches and clocks and chronometers there's really nothing in books or on the net.

6. river rat May 10, 2017

Well took a few shots of the movement the movement shot above was the sellers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I mounted it on a wooden plaque
    [​IMG]

Just shipped it to get serviced would of done it local but my local watchmaker did not want to touch it. Any way the watchmaker I sent it to worked on two French Navy deck watches with the same movement so better qualified for the job. Figure since I will be using it every day as a clock it should be checked out incase it needs a service. Until I popped the back cover did not know about the crystal cover over the movement maybe for better weather protection out at sea.

JimInOz and Gaz6263 like this.
  7. Kwijibo Jun 2, 2017

It'as a very cool clock and excellent lemania movement. Brevettato definitly means patented :). any qualified watchmaker should easily service it as it's not a complicated movement.

8. river rat Jun 2, 2017

Just got it back. My watchmaker notice the balance staff had a slight bent a little he did not have a replacement he said if he tried to bend it straight it mite brake then I would be screwed. But with it straight up because I am using it as a clock he was able to regulate were it was OK after service.

9. Kwijibo Jun 2, 2017

Do you have the reference of the movemet in order to see if I can get the right axis? it's not too dangerous. You risk a few things :
    unheaven rotation
    damaging more the axis, but if it's already damaged...
    =lack of accuracy and balance rotation.

10. WatchArt Jun 2, 2017

If keeping ok time, leave alone. . cool conversation piece. If you had to source the balance staff, it's probably still possible to get replacement or repair. . . . if you searched around. Nice acquisition.

11. Kwijibo Jun 2, 2017

There's also a risk of reducing the power reserve + if your axis is bended the jewels won't be aligned properly with the pallet fork.

12. river rat Jun 3, 2017

My watchmaking sent me the timing sheet that was the first mite have to use this watchmaker again I bought watches from him before. But it's at 7+ in 26 hours now not bad with the balance staff being like it is. was 20+ before timing after service.

13. Kwijibo Jun 3, 2017

+7s? May be you can do a little better if it stays put face up by pushing just a tiny bit the adjusting pin.