Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 10, 2015

[​IMG]
    Auction photo

Took a gamble on an Ebay auction to acquire this Omega. Auction photos were of poor quality, the dial is shabby, and the bracelet garish. The watch appears to want to run as it’s only lost approximately 30 seconds over the two days its been here. The dial caliper indicates that case diameter is 1.550 inches in diameter so that should translate to a 38 mm case. This case size was looked upon as a nice bonus. It’s a good heavy watch, even without the bracelet. I haven’t had time to attempt to open the case. I dislike attempting to open snap-backs but would like to have a look inside so as to better identify the watch. If I can open it, then additional photos will be posted. Would love to know when it was manufactured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be grateful to anyone who could tell me anything about the watch or even could post a photo of a similar Omega model in good condition. It would be nice to see nice examples of similar watches in leather straps. I was considering a vintage, slightly darkened, natural pig skin strap I have on hand but the lugs are a bit wide for 18mm straps. I’m open to color suggestions.

Could the crown on this watch be correct since it is unmarked?

This is Ebay bottom-feeding at its finest (worst?) but we’ll send it off for a sympathetic rehab and a new crystal, and will attempt to find a more period-looking strap to see if the watch improves. I’m hoping the dial can be improved a bit with careful cleaning. Will dig up this thread and post the ‘after’ photos in coming weeks.

[​IMG]

A bit of karma for anyone who might want the bracelet. The stones are apparently set in silver. The first Forum member to PM me with their mailing address will be awarded the bracelet. Any takers?

[​IMG]

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 10, 2015

Bracelet's gone.

It didn't take long or hurt much.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 10, 2015

Very nice Omega. May I ask what you "stole" it for on the 'bay?

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 10, 2015

Little under $200 however shipping ran it to a little over $200.

Etp095 and Modest_Proposal like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 10, 2015

The watch dial has a late 30's early 40's feel.
    I found the same numeral font on page 132 of AJTT, ref. CK 2013, but yours seems newer.
    You'll post good pictures on arrival?

Straps? let's see, black, brown, burgundy, cordovan, gray, blue......

Edited Dec 10, 2015
    noelekal likes this.
  6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 10, 2015

Fantastic!

7. wwhntr Dec 10, 2015

Can you post picture of back of watch? When you do get back off (I suspect it's a snap on back) please post the serial number on movement. I will take a guess at it being a caliber 30T2...look under balance wheel using a loupe. The crown is original and correct for the period, late 30's early 40's. I'll also take a guess at it being a case reference 2325 stamped inside case back.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 10, 2015

Thanks wwhntr, for your suggestions abou the watch. I'll post a photo of the back without the bracelet next day are so.

I attempted to remove the back (is a snap-back) this evening but it won't budge for me so far, even trying the tricks laid out here on the Forum. I'm frequently defeated by snap-backs.

9. wwhntr Dec 10, 2015

I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend of my 2325's with 30T2 mvts.

If your watch is this reference, the backs are sometimes difficult to remove. The one edged razor blade usually works. Look for a place on the edge of case back that has been used before to get a blade under, like a gap, place blade there and tap blade with wooden handle of small hammer or other tool.

noelekal likes this.
  10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 11, 2015

Looks like an excellent find! Looking forward to seeing what's inside.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 11, 2015

Being absentminded as usual, I forgot to take photos of the back of the watch before sending it off to be rehabilitated.

Hah! no more than posted this thread last evening until the watch stubbornly stopped. And, after running so well for the previous two days too. Oh well .. .teaches the value in not bragging too much.

I'll resurrect this thread when it returns.

12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 14, 2015

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 14, 2015

The watch was delivered today to my watchmaker who kindly provided the photos.

My Photobucket's misbehaving so attempted to load photos with somewhat less than successful results.

The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured in 1944. Would this movement feature any shock protection?

Would anyone be able to recommend a strap that best reproduces the appearance of an original style strap?

Edited Dec 14, 2015
  14. Pvt-Public Dec 14, 2015

No shock protection.

noelekal likes this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 30, 2016

[​IMG]

This '44 vintage Omega watch has being back for a little over a week. It was set with the NIST time widget and the second hand position was noted when it first arrived, then wound daily and left out on the dresser or else left hanging in the storage net in the door of the gun safe. I saved it as a Friday casual watch and wore it to the office yesterday and again checked it against the NIST site. After running for a week it appears to have gained only 20 seconds. I realize that is not a scientific test but was pleased that it could perform so well.

A new-old-stock pigskin strap was acquired for it which is very comfortable to wear. The watch has a heavy, substantial feel for one so old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some photos were made of a Boyt Model 1916 holster with a 1944 production date intending to post them on a firearms forum, so the watch was used as a prop along with some World War II items. The props in these photos all support the Boyt M1916 holster by also having been manufactured during 1944. The Springfield Armory-produced M1 .30-06 rifle shows a barrel date of 6-44. The Remington Rand M1911-A1 .45 pistol has a serial number indicating a very early 1944 production date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 31, 2016

Photobucket's site died off during the attempt to post photos. Here is the movement, all tidied up.

[​IMG]

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 31, 2016

The dial has a really nice patina which goes well with that pigskin strap. Congrats, enjoy it:thumbsup:

18. Canuck Jan 31, 2016

This one is in rose gold (likely European model), same movement, but shock resistant. Dial not perfect, but it is original. This dial has applied rose gold index markers, original rose gold Gothic style hands.

image.jpeg

19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 31, 2016

OOOooo...Canuck! That one's nice!

Love the lugs. I imagine the gold case feels fairly heavy and substantial.

20. Canuck Jan 31, 2016

Actually, the case is gold filled, with a stainless steel back. It would be much heavier if it was karat gold, of course.

noelekal likes this.