Forums Latest Members

It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but is it a De Ville?!

1. KimZ Jun 11, 2016

Ok, first of all, many thanks to the creators of this fascinating site and to you for reading this thread...
    The reason I have created this thread is in order to ask you for help in identifying a watch that was left to me by my late Pa. A little history is known: He bought it used from a dealer in the early 70s .I can't find a similar texture bracelet on a De Ville on the interweb, it looks almost hammered (poor description) to the naked eye. <snip>The complete watch weighs 84g and is approx. 20cm long. The crystal seems plastic and is in generally poor condition, with scuffs and cracks visible to the naked eye, but the watch runs just fine!

Any help positively identifying this old watch would be greatly appreciated.
    Once again, many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Bests, KimZ.

Main view...
    IMG_20160611_163108[1].jpg

Macro of bracelet
    Sat Jun 11 14-49-15.jpg

Macro of face..
    Sat Jun 11 15-21-09.jpg

Edited Jun 24, 2016
  2. Vitezi Jun 11, 2016

A watchmaker will be able to open the watch and provide you with the reference number(s) that will identify the specific model. Based on your photos, your De Ville is similar to these models shown in the images below, taken from a 1972 UK Omega catalog:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

If you intend to keep the watch as an heirloom, the customary advice is to have a watchmaker service the movement, as the oils that lubricate the many moving parts will have dried out by now.

KimZ likes this.
  3. KimZ Jun 11, 2016

Many thanks for your input Vitezi!

4. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Ok, I've followed Vitezi's advice and yup, it is real. I have taken it to various jewellers for approx valuation, but I would appreciate a heads-up from this forum as experts and also collectors. I have been offered little above scrap value for this 18k watch.. Also can someone out there identify the bracelet style? I have been told by a reliable source that it is a "milanese", but I can't find this particular bracelet anywhere. As ever, input gratefully appreciated!

IMG_20160616_113821.jpg IMG_20160616_113851.jpg
    Vitezi likes this.
  5. novina Jun 24, 2016

Due to the fact that this watch has a non removable bracelet and the obvious 70s styling, it limits appeal to many. As you have found out, The case does appear to be solid 18K, bracelet 9K? I believe you said. So due to its lack of appeal, gold value maybe exactly be what it is worth. But as a family piece, only you can say. If you are interested in the brand, but not this watch exactly, you may want to sell to buy another piece that more suits you. Looks like a nice automatic movement (can't quite make out caliber # in the photo) inside and as long as the crystal is not cracked, you may be able to polish it a bit with POLYWATCH. Its a nice watch overall, but it is yours and you have a decision to make. Keep it, service it and wear it to remember your father. Or sell it.
    Good luck either way and welcome to the forum. Hope you stay around.

Vitezi and KimZ like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 24, 2016

If you sell for scrap, keep the movement, it will have some value.

Family pieces like these can be tough because they are not really practical today and will just sit in a box. I love @novina's approach, sell the watch and buy a watch that you will wear. That way, you will remember your dad every day when you put on your wrist.

Vitezi and KimZ like this.
  7. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Thanks Novina! The strap is 18k but unfortunately the crystal is cracked and will require replacement rather than polishing!
    Of course I would rather keep it, but it is far too small for me, so I will investigate and perhaps replace it with a (say) seamaster.
    I certainly intend to stay around this forum, it is a veritable mine of knowledge!

Vitezi and watchknut like this.
  8. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Thanks Watchknut - that might be a way forwards!

9. fjf Jun 24, 2016

You dont sell your Pa's watch (unless extreme necessity). You keep it and leave to your children!!. IMHO, of course...

chronos and KimZ like this.
  10. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Thanks fjf, that IS an option and honestly (and selfishly?!) I hadn't thought of that! Eta: I might just get it serviced and put it back in a nice(r) box for the kids!

Vitezi likes this.
  11. fjf Jun 24, 2016

If you are not going to wear it, there is no need to spend money servicing it....

12. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Must keep it in good order for my sons.. :)

13. fjf Jun 24, 2016

:thumbsup:

14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 24, 2016

yep ... the world urgently needs another old watch in a sock drawer ...

MAYBE (big maybe) ... you can offer it as a trade and get lucky in a sense that you find something that appeals more to you (from a strict utilitarian point of view)

luck, Al

KimZ likes this.
  15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 24, 2016

better put it back in the box WITHOUT service ... why service it if you dont have it running ? ... you need to do this every 5-7 years.

al

16. KimZ Jun 24, 2016

Hmm another option! *Thinks* I'm um, big boned.. so likely consider something chunky... guilt trip...hope my boys aren't reading this, lol!

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 24, 2016

Let's just hang around for a few years until KimZ Jnr posts exactly the same question ;)

While the watch is a great example of 1970s elegance, I doubt that the fashion will ever come again and to have an unworn watch linger in a drawer for another decade doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, due to it's extremely limited appeal and collectability, it will be very hard or even impossible to sell or trade for much above scrap value.

You could remove the movement which has value and sell the case/band for scrap gold, buy another watch of timeless style that you can pass on to your kids.

Something like a Speedmaster will never go out of fashion and I'm sure you would remember your Dad every time you looked at your "new" watch.

KimZ likes this.
  18. Vitezi Jun 25, 2016

Just for grins, I’ll offer you a slightly different opinion…get it serviced and wear it. Don’t worry about the size or the 70’s fashion. I’ll assume here that the bracelet can be adjusted to fit you.

Concerned that the watch is too small? No one wears a watch to tell time any more (that’s what mobile phones are for…) If it helps, think of the piece as vintage jewelry. And think of the link to your father: the same bracelet that now encircles your wrist once encircled your father’s. The dial you’re looking at now was once looked at by your father’s eyes.

Concerned that the watch is out of fashion? No one is looking at your watch anyway. And if anyone were bold enough to comment on it, you just smile and say “Yes, it was my father’s.” And that would explain everything.

KimZ likes this.
  19. KimZ Jun 25, 2016

I wish I could Vitezi - the strap is about 2 cm too short to go around my wrist, so small in that sense! I really couldn't care less about fashion or watch face size - I think the current trend in modern watches look ridiculous. I might just zip-tie an alarm clock to my wrist ... :)

20. Pvt-Public Jun 26, 2016

No.... No.... No ! It must be on a vintage strap or bracelet.
    P7182071.JPG

On this vintage bracelet.
    P1211806.JPG
    Now that is style......::screwloose::::facepalm2::

KimZ likes this.