Forums Latest Members

it is with slight trepidation that i offer up my latest

1. samthebutcher Oct 5, 2017

I vowed not to wade into the waters of vintage omega years ago as they are churning with treachery and horror. you few, brave souls who make it your thing have my bewildered respect. my normal forte is eterna, and in that brand I have some comfort of knowledge. however, the siren call of a vintage connie was loud and, ultimately, irresistible. it wasn't expensive, and some will chafe at the condition, but I like it just fine. now to find out if it's a daisy, or a fluer du mal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mikechi22 Oct 5, 2017

Hi there! Any guy who can weave a Baudelaire title into the description of an old Omega is someone I can admire! The more learned members will be along shortly to give you an assessment of what you have. I would just say that, despite all the history evident on its face, it’s a great looking watch! I picked up a similar one myself, plenty of patina (which should trigger my OCD) and a grains of rice bracelet, and damned if it’s not the one I want to wear most of the time! I predict yours will wear well too!

3. marcel2812 Oct 5, 2017

i was looking at a very similar piece few weeks ago.......with very similar condition (repolished, dial condition, etc) .and had doubt on the gold hands and steel casing combination...

4. marcel2812 Oct 5, 2017

there you go..this was the one...

i did not get it tho[​IMG]

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 5, 2017

Lucky you didn't, look of the size of that A in omegA :whistling:

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 6, 2017

Your Connie has a dial that has had a bit of a tough life but everything seems to be correct.

An early 14381, nice case and the BOR is a bonus

If it hasn't had a service I would get one done as there seems to be some rotor rub.

Congrats on your new Connie.

samthebutcher likes this.
  7. mikechi22 Oct 6, 2017

I wonder if that brooch / insect looking mark between the 5 and 6 could be dusted off?

8. doog Oct 6, 2017

Don't think your trepidation was in any way justified, that's a lovely Connie on a lovely BOR bracelet to boot. The dial condition is going to turn some off, especially that little patch of paint loss, but I think the patina of its nigh-on 60 years of life, is worn fairly lightly. Scratched into the case back appears to be '.../89' and 'HANDS' which would indicate servicing, but as Peemacgee so rightly says, it would benefit from another. Enjoy, I most certainly would.

samthebutcher likes this.
  9. cristos71 Oct 6, 2017

The hands are incorrect, too long and they should also match the metal of the dial furniture which appears to be steel

samthebutcher and ahsposo like this.
  10. mikechi22 Oct 6, 2017

In your opinion then, are the hands on the other Connie that is posted, too short?

And to summarize, the minute and second hands should just reach the minute markers on these pie pans, correct?

11. cristos71 Oct 6, 2017

The other Constellation is of a different reference with correct hands

12. cristos71 Oct 6, 2017

Here's my old 14381 with a dome dial, it is possible that your hands were originally meant for this version.

downloadfile-1.jpg

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 6, 2017

Oops - that will teach me to comment on a watch before my morning coffee.
    I guess the clue was 'hands' scratched into the case back.

mikechi22 likes this.
  14. samthebutcher Oct 10, 2017

gentlemen, thank you for your input.

the picture is terrible, and masks the fact that the applied logo, markers and numbers are a very faded gold. so, the contrast between hands and dial isn't as jarring as it seems.

but I can live with incorrect hands. thanks again!