Forums Latest Members

It is my ball and you're not playing with it

1. Maganator Feb 24, 2017

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vertex-dirty-dozen-watch-reborn-military

So Vertex are releasing an updated of one of the dirty dozen style military watches. To be honest, I think it looks great.

That wasn't what struck me about it though.

The maker is making 60 of them - and he is deciding who gets them. If you are lucky enough to be one of the chosen few then, in time, you get to pick 5 people that are 'allowed' to buy the watch.

Interesting way to market a watch. Does seem quite exclusive - and it is being done like that on purpose. He was gifted a Panerai by his wife 12 years ago and now hates the fact that anyone can have one.

"At the time, Panerai was so special and you could only get it in a couple places, and I felt really lucky to have one. Now everyone's got one and it's not as special, and that kind of annoys me. I wanted to think of a way that I could protect Vertex from becoming that, so that people would always feel that it was more than just a commercial acquisition."

Anyway, nice looking watch. Applied lume numbers which I haven't seen before. Not sure I agree with the policy on who can buy one (unless you're reading, Mr Cochrane, in which case I love it :) )

Inlline_1.jpg M100_detail (1).jpg Inlline_2.jpg

2. semper_shells Feb 24, 2017

Saw that yesterday and thought the same thing. Great looking watch, but the brand doesn't do enough for me to want this anyway. There are plenty of great looking watches, exclusivity doesn't make me want something any more than I would normally want it. (except Speedmasters;))

Tritium and Maganator like this.
  3. dialstatic Feb 24, 2017

Great looking watch and I like the 'dozen times five' idea. If you get one, it's a nice story and of you don't there's no harm done. Those markers sure look cool - wonder how it's done.

4. Maganator Feb 24, 2017

Yeah I am a big fan of numbers. From the close up it doesn't seem like they have been cut particularity precisely. I wonder if that's the best you can do with the material

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2017

I really do prefer the original - sold mine but it was a nice watch with real history...

[​IMG]

The ETA 7001 is a small 10.5 ligne movement - even in this 35 mm Stowa Antea it looks pretty small:

[​IMG]

Will look very small in a 40 mm case. Have to say the pricing is on the high side IMO, and the method of selling is a little ridiculous...

6. Maganator Feb 24, 2017

The original really is lovely. hat style of military watch is superb.

7. Kmart Feb 24, 2017

Well not quite -- he's making well over 60 of them, he's just making the first 60 only available to a select group of 60 people. Then these people can of course pick 5 others to buy it if they wish.

Frankly, while the watch does look good, I just don't see the point of it. It's way overpriced at $3,000+, and unlike other modern reissues/updates where the originals are very hard to come by or prohibitively expensive (i.e. Tudor Heritage Chrono, Longines Legend Diver, Oris 65, Heuer Carrera re-issue, etc.), the dirty dozen watches seem to come up for sale quite often, and usually at a pretty fair price (BELOW that of the new one). Why buy this when you can get a vintage one for <$2,000?

marcn likes this.
  8. Maganator Feb 24, 2017

Yes, that is fair. My post wasn't very clear.

But I take your point - when the re-issue is more expensive and harder to come by than the original then it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

9. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 24, 2017

It will be quite interesting to see what happens now that he's been Hodinkee'd and everyone's either registered their moral outrage or gushed, or both. ;)

Nowhere in that article is the first run's scarcity implied as anything other than as a marketing calculation. I mean, at least lie to us that there were production limitations that forced your hand into this particular strategy. I can't help but think this is how Dwight Schrute would market a watch.

As it stands for me: $500 watch + $2,500 attitude = no thanks.

Spacefruit, adi4, redpcar and 5 others like this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 24, 2017

Odd sales approach all around. Limiting sales because "..I am sick of people buying things..." and pricing it high because it "...places it in a category that you respect" - seriously??!!

Personally, I buy watches only from those select sellers that I hand-pick.

This guy definitely won't be one of them. :rolleyes:

STANDY, adi4, redpcar and 4 others like this.
  11. Hijak Feb 24, 2017

Well said Paul, a voice of sanity in an insane word!

STANDY likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Feb 24, 2017

You're missing the fact that a lot of men are too insecure to wear watches smaller than 40mm.

That this is coming from a Panerai-toting guy who sounds like a bit of a prick is no surprise.

*runs*

wsfarrell likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2017

[​IMG]

I hear this can help with the runs...

noelekal, kkt, adi4 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kuki Feb 24, 2017

The original is miles better IMHO.. the raised lumi-indeces is a little out of the box for me..

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 24, 2017

I know a pompous ass when I read his quote.
    Guess I won't feel lucky.
    gatorcpa

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 24, 2017

To sell a watch like this at a price like that indeed calls for a novel sales plan.

michael22 likes this.
  17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 24, 2017

My Sales Manager:

“You can fool some of the people some of the time -- and that's enough to make a decent living.”
    W.C. Fields

7569ad433d12a70ef122ea96fade6c7d.jpg

noelekal, trackpad, JimInOz and 5 others like this.
  18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 24, 2017

Hey Al, not the kind of post a service dude should "like".

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2017

I'm pretty sure that people know that's not the kind of guy I am...just a WC Fields fan...

UncleBuck likes this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 24, 2017

My fav...attributed to Betts but actually a WC Fields....
    “I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”
    W.C. Fields

Rumar89, trackpad, kkt and 1 other person like this.