Forums Latest Members

It all Started Out as a Tool

1. YIPEKIA Mar 4, 2018

David here! Have been reading articles in the Forum for a few years and decided to jump in and engage. I'm retired. My relationship with the Omega brand started when I was in my teens. My dad was a professional photographer. We used Omega Print Enlargers in our Darkrooms. We always had Omega Seamasters on our wrists as tools. They were impervious to photographic chemicals, agitating/dipping B&W prints from tray to tray of developer and shortstop. We were on daily print schedules and these had the best dials for telling time in the dark. Not to mention that they are virtually indestructible and ACCURATE. I still have a few. My favorite is my Seamaster 300 Big Triangle. This was a Pawn shop purchase around 1980 for $125.00. That was the going rate for a nice clean used one then. It has been around the world with me a few times and lived thru motocross, downhill, mountain climbing, water skiing, hunting, etc. The band is long worn out and gone. In my opinion, the bands were never really up to the standard of the time piece. Always wore it with a Rolex Submariner 9315 bracelet that had a locking clasp. Probably why I never lost it. Still have that old 9315 bracelet in a ziplock. I have it on a modern Omega Nato now. I still judge all other watches by the Big Triangle. It just looks, works and feels right to me. I last had it serviced and checked at the San Antonio Omega Boutique in 2015. It caused a bit of a stir when I walked in with it. Except for replacing the crystal years ago, it has never been redone and is still keeps time within regulation, however they advised not to submerge it any more, as the seals can only last so long. They wanted to refurbish it, but said they may have to replace the hands. Naturally, I said no thanks. Personally I think it looks marvelous and still wear it occasionally to special events. My daily is a Seamaster Professional 300m/1000ft. Wavey dial. I wear it pretty much 24/7. It's quartz, which is, you know, OK, keeps good time, it's also pretty bullet proof, and it's kinda got a big triangle dial. My wife has a matching ladies wavey. IMG_2911.jpg

2. Kiltie Mar 4, 2018

Neat watch and an inspiring story - everything I want my watch(es) to be.
    San Antonio Omega store is awesome. Good folks.

Mtek likes this.
  3. YIPEKIA Mar 4, 2018

Thanks for the kind words, I also enjoyed visiting SA Omega.

4. Seacow Mar 8, 2018

Great story my friend, wish I was buying SM300 around 1980s..::facepalm1::...IMHO SM300 and Rolex subs are real tool watches that can be used everywhere. but I think sometimes it still needs a bit TLC to serve you many years to come. You can try to find a good vintage watch service place. Only service the movement and change all the seals. :thumbsup:

5. Mr.Cairo Mar 8, 2018

Love these kind of stories, "a man and his watch" (well, watches now, but still). Nice to have that one piece that went everywhere with you. Great watches, post and photo. Cheers

6. ICONO Mar 8, 2018

Terrific backstory…and a very warm Welcome to the Forum with your debut

( We older buggers need to stick together ! )

Lovely watches

7. YIPEKIA Mar 8, 2018

Thanks, Seacow, Cario and Icons, glad to be part of the group!

Mr.Cairo likes this.