Forums Latest Members

issues with omega AD, now full service?

1. Playford Oct 29, 2018

Bit of a what would you do question. I have a 90s quartz omega seamaster 300. It was bought second hand so no idea on service history. It recently stopped working properly with hands stuttering and jumping on seconds hand skipping 5 secs at a time etc. Took into a jewellers (omega/Rolex/pp AD) for new battery and reseal, came back working fine and no mention of anything from watchmaker. 3 weeks later watch has stopped and seems to be trying to tick on seconds hand but stuck and watch has stopped. AD was making noises that it requires a full omega service, this all seems a bit odd, no issues and 3 weeks later it dies and it suddenly needs a full service, apparently due to lubrication? All seems a bit odd to me. Their watch maker is examining the watch and ringing me this week. What would you do?

I don’t want to be unreasonable but this seems very odd.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 29, 2018

Sounds like the original issues may not have been entirely battery-related. Quartz watches need service, so if it has been many years...

Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2018

4. MRC Oct 29, 2018

I had a similar issue with my 1979/80-made Seamaster with 1342 movement although having owned it from new in 1982 I knew its service history (none whatsoever :thumbsdown:). It had become unreliable after a few years possibly due to being dropped onto a hard floor and I did not wear it often. It went into a drawer and sometimes was given a new battery but eventually I left it there with old battery inside! About 25 years later I tried to revive it and had an AD fit a fresh battery which lasted a few months only. Another battery, same behaviour. No warnings about damage or need for service.

After some thought it went to Switzerland at an expense of twice its market value and has been fine since, albeit with only 18 months battery life with the environmentally friendly batteries available now.

That AD has now dispensed with the services of their watchmaker and I do not believe they had a real one there in the first instance. My belief is that they had someone who could simply change batteries and straps. They do not really have that service now -- a battery change for this Seamaster has to be sent to the Omega mother-ship. Luckily for me 200 metres away is a Rolex/Longines AD who have a visiting Rolex approved watchmaker twice a week and that is where I go for new batteries in the Seamaster and new crystals for my 1960s Carreras. Rolex approved: expensive eh? Very, very reasonable, quick and the watches do not leave the premises.

You may be dealing with an AD who has the same level of competence that the first one I used had, in which case try to find one with a genuinely qualified watchmaker. Or be prepared for a large bill from Omega if the watch is worth enough to you.

PA230186m.jpg

Edit to say:

And....
    be prepared for Omega to make replacements that do not match the original. This watch originally had a light brown/gold crystal seal, not the white one seen here. They also replaced the crown but that looks identical to the original. Both old parts were returned. If they replaced the movement the old one was not returned -- but I don't know what I would do with it.

Edited Oct 29, 2018
  5. Playford Oct 29, 2018

So what would be included in a standard service from omega? Say bezel is scratched would they replace that? Or is it just a polish and mechanical replacement?

6. MRC Oct 30, 2018

I think you would have to ask them and pay for an estimate :( When mine was done the cost of the estimate was taken off the final bill, however the estimate said that the hands would be replaced but they weren't.

7. Playford Oct 31, 2018

AD rang me, supposedly battery came loose after battery/reseal and watch is now running correctly.

Dodged a service this time but factoring in that one is in the post!