Forums Latest Members

issue with screw in crown for 3313 mvmt

1. gunmark May 13, 2017

hi

i have an issue gents. last night i fully wound my planet ocean 3313 until it wouldnt turn any more and i heard it click afterwards. (clutch?)

this watch has a screw in crown so when i tried to screw in the crown, it was very very tough to screw it in; so hard that i feared breaking something. is this normal?

thanks

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 13, 2017

How is it now that it has unwound a little?

watch3s likes this.
  3. gunmark May 13, 2017

this morning i screwed it in and it felt "normal."
    as my first omega, if "normal" means the mvmt winding whenever i screwed in the crown.

so should i never fully wind my omega or should i continue to force the crown down when fully wound?

4. Canuck May 13, 2017

These screw down crowns usually are designed so that when you push the crown inward, the telescoping innards of the crown disconnect from winding, so when you turn the crown to screw it onto the case tube, no winding occurs. But not to worry, it is impossible that you might "overwind" the watch, whatever you do.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2017

This is not true for the vast majority of modern Omega watches with screw down crowns. Although the crown is spring loaded to facilitate screwing it down, the stem is never disengaged during that process, so it will continue to wind the movement when the crown is being screwed down.

As you can see here with this PO crown, the telescoping portions are a hexagonal cross section - they do not rotate relative to each other:

[​IMG]

To the OP - @Foo2rama was certainly on the right track, that the resistance you feel when screwing the crown down will vary based on how wound the mainspring is. Note that does not mean there still isn't something wrong, so if you feel that the effort required is seriously more than it should be, then you should have someone look at it. There could be damage or debris in the threads, or inadequate lubrication of the crown seal that could make the winding feel heavier than it should be.

Cheers, Al

watch3s and Foo2rama like this.