Forums Latest Members

Issue with recently serviced 2531.80

1. POinNY Dec 12, 2020

Hello,

I purchased a 2531.80 a few months ago that was never serviced, from the original owner. It was running -6 seconds per day. Took it to a local watchmaker for a service and when I got it back I noticed after 2 weeks it would lose a considerable amount of time each day, but it wasn’t like that within the first days of getting it back. So I took it back.

He redid the service and claimed he didn’t really see anything wrong from the first time he did it but did admit it was running slow. Now I’m faced with a similar issue....

Within the first few days of getting it back I would say it was +5 sec per day, yet with each passing day the amount of time it would gain would be less and less. I would say after a week it was +2 sec per day. Last night I rested it crown down (as opposed to dial up like it’s always been) and I woke up this morning and it had lost 25 seconds. I would say the solution would be to keep it laying dial up at night to solve for this, but it doesn’t completely solve for it because eventually it would be losing time as mentioned above.

I do know that the watchmaker did not replace any parts and insisted it just needed to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. He said none of the parts needed to be changed. He didn’t even change the gaskets which I thought was weird for a 18year old watch and claimed he pressure tested it for 1000 feet and it still passed. He’s an old school watchmaker with great reviews and an Omega parts account, but I will say that I had a 2531.80 a few years ago that I sent to Omega for service instead and they did the usual by replacing all parts, and that watch came back running like a bull and insanely accurate.

I guess that’s what happens when parts are replaced vs just serviced. What part within the movement might be responsible for causing these issues that I mentioned above? I’m not overly concerned but am a little ticked off after paying $275 for a service and really not getting anything replaced in the process. Does an 18 year old watch always need movement parts replaced, regardless of the condition it is in? I now think that the Omega full service for the price is worth it and probably should have gone that route again.

2. Dan S Dec 12, 2020

Different watchmakers service watches with different levels of thoroughness. Nobody on this message board can say what needs to be replaced in a given watch, each part needs to be carefully inspected. Sometimes watches need parts replaced to run well, sometimes they don't. There are a few parts that are commonly replaced (crown, mainspring, seals), but otherwise, parts are generally replaced as needed. Omega doesn't routinely replace "all parts"; I don't even know what that means.

That said, it doesn't sound like your watchmaker has done an adequate job. However, that is not necessarily true of all independent watchmakers.

POinNY likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2020

Well, if the watch had been used all of those 18 years, then it would be very unlikely for it to not need any parts replaced. As a minimum, the mainspring should have been replaced, and of course all the other parts inspected (under a microscope) to determine what condition they are in, and if they require replacing. Omega now recommends that reversing wheels are changed at every service, and not used again.

On the seals, keep in mind that a pressure test is just a snapshot in time, and doesn't provide any guarantee of water resistance going forward. The only way to do that is to replace the seals.

flw, POinNY, 8100_RPM and 3 others like this.
  4. Donn Chambers Dec 14, 2020

Sounds to me you need to find a better watchmaker who will service the watch properly. Not replacing at least the gaskets at a service is just laziness.