Forums Latest Members

Issue with Lemania 5100

1. UWG Nov 4, 2023

Dear Members,

today a friend of mine noticed that my Tutima Military (Lemania 5100) has following issue, I did not noticed before:

When the movement is wound by hand, the rotor turns with it and the watch vibrates noticeably.

My questions:
    Is this an issue and if so, a big one?
    Is a full-service necessary or is a „simple“ repair sufficient?

Thank you in advance!

Edited Nov 4, 2023
  2. josiahg52 Nov 4, 2023

It is an issue. The rotor pawls that should disengage during manual winding are sticking which leaves the rotor directly connected to the winding works. This can cause damage as the rotor is not designed to spin that fast and the winding system is not meant to apply that much torque.

It should be fully serviced. I doubt you'd find a watchmaker who would repair "just" this problem and put a guarantee or warranty on it or stake their name that the problem is fixed.

Fish70 and UWG like this.
  3. UWG Nov 4, 2023

Thank you for your quick and very understandable explanation.
    I have read that the supply situation with spare parts for this refererence is very difficult and therefore a service at Tutima direct is unavoidable.

I am located in Germany, so I hope it won’t be a problem.

4. Lancaster Mar 8, 2024

My watch guy calls this "helicoptering". It's common with a 5100 that hasn't been serviced in awhile. I find that if you hold the watch vertically with the crown facing up (or down), you may be able to wind the crown very slowly without the rotor spinning. You don't need to send it to Tutima for service. There are certainly independent watchmakers in Germany who can service these and will have or can locate parts, though you shouldn't need parts for this issue. Perhaps you've found this shop: https://www.service-uhrwerk-5100.com/overhaul-service-info/ They look very capable but I have no experience with them.

UWG and watchyouwant like this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 9, 2024

No big deal. As an auto mvmt. Hand winding is the exception anyway. And the above service address is pretty good; I've used them in the past.

Lancaster and UWG like this.