Forums Latest Members

ISO a Breitling Navitimer (806) Expert!

1. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

Hello OF! I have a milestone birthday coming up this year, so I've started seeking the appropriate watch to mark the occasion. I've been collecting for a few years and have several brands in my collection (Omega, Longinges, Tissot, etc...), so I was thinking of maybe a vintage Rolex. After several weeks of research I found a piece at a local dealer that peaked my interest, so of course I blew off work and ran in to have a look. Unfortunately, the Rolex model(s) I was considering are too small for my wrist, but I wasn't depressed for long, because I noticed a Navitimer 806 sitting in the case. Navitimers are not entirely new to me - I was considering one a couple years back and had done some research, but I had never handled the 806 manual wind (Venus 178) in-person before, and I fell in love. Naturally, I've spent the last few weeks reading everything I can find online, but (as I'm sure many of you know) Brietling's own records from this time are spotty at best, and they often conflict with the "experts" who have written about the early Navitimers online.

What I'm really looking for is someone who is well versed enough to help me analyze this particular piece, as there is no "record" to compare against. I've pulled dozens of similar-age 806 sales (from ebay and other sites), and I've seen at least 3 different sub-dial hands, as well as different crowns and case sizes. Valuation is another tough task. The sales have varied from ~$3K to over $8K, and they mainly seem to be driven by some "rare" attribute, which is nearly impossible to verify (again) given the lack of records from Breitling.

Of course, I have included some photos below (with my own thoughts). Would love any feedback from those more familiar...

Navitimer 1.jpg
    Compared to other 806s that I've looked at, the dial looks incredibly clean. Too clean? There is certainly some lume missing (10 and 11, from a cleaning likely), but I see no other major concerns with the dial itself. The lume color is consistent between the hands and the indices, but of course that doesn't mean they weren't relumed at the same time.

Navitimer 2.jpg Navitimer 3.jpg Navitimer 4.jpg
    Case looks clean and unpolished (or only very lightly polished) to my eyes. I don't believe this is the original crystal, but I didn't have my loupe with me when I examined it. From my research, the pushers appear to be correct, but I have seen too many different crowns online to be able to say that's the original to the watch. It certainly appears to be an official Breitling crown according to some searching online RE other brand watches from the time.

Navitimer venus178.jpg

I've run through the usual, first-step visual analysis of the movement (thanks to posts from @ConElPueblo , @Archer and others), and no major concerns here that I could see. The dealer has obviously cleaned and serviced the movement, and they would provide a 1 year warranty.

Thanks for hanging through the long read! I was crushed on an impulse purchase last year (stupidest thing ever), and since then I have PTSD that causes me to over-analyze everything. Learning from mistakes.

quito likes this.
  2. Dan S Mar 12, 2019

I can't see the arrow on the sweep hand.

3. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

Great point - 99% sure it's there, but I will get a picture of it next time I see it.

4. Dan S Mar 12, 2019

I'm not sure. The triangle hands are also pretty short. This one looks straight and long. But if you can move it and take a photo, that would be great.

chronoboy64 likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

6. Dan S Mar 12, 2019

Do you know the serial number and approximate manufacture date? That will help determine if the dial is correct for the example.

[Edit: Doh, didn't notice the serial was already posted, and corresponds to 1970.]

7. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

F2B0FDB2-5B97-444F-9812-A7B83EAB4C65.jpeg
    I found a lemania Sinn 903 at a price I could not turn down. Pretty much it. It’s also the true continuation of the 806.

sxl2004, bloomy and chronoboy64 like this.
  9. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

Wow that's a gem! I can see why you went that direction.

@Dan S - you were spot on with the sweep/seconds hand - it's missing the arrow. Ironically, there is one on eBay right now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Breitl...110772?hash=item3fbcf4f8f4:g:HcAAAOSwubRXJcMfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If I can source the hand and have them switch it out, any other issues you see with this example? I reviewed the triangle hands with a ton of other examples and the length seems consistent. The hour hand just touches the indices, and the minute hand is almost to the outer edge of the indices. If there are better examples of an 806 out there to be had, I'm happy to wait. Technically, my birthday isn't until November! :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. chronoboy64 Mar 12, 2019

IMHO it is clearly not the correct sweep second hand as @Dan S stated.
    the lume on the dial appears not really that much attractive to me. It has a very dark colour and is partly flaked off (esp. the 10 and 11 hour marker). What is your opinion and may I ask, what the requested price is ?
    Good luck.

11. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

I agree with the lume color/appearance...especially after seeing the lume on @Foo2rama 's 903. I also noticed the flaking. Right now they're asking $5K, but I was going to offer something around the $4K mark. Possibly south of that. However, just having this conversation has given me pause. I might wait for a cleaner example to show up here!

marco and Dan S like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

FYI @1990
    With vintage colored tritium when it was made lol.

13. jrhave2 Mar 12, 2019

LOL I was just looking at the Sinn variants and discovered the same thing! :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. chronoboy64 Mar 12, 2019

For $4k you should be able to buy an excellent 100% original example. Are you looking for a 1969 piece ? Where are you located ? Best

15. Braindrain Mar 12, 2019

There are also the Ollech and Wajs Aviation models. Sink and O&W bought up Breitling stock back in the 70s. There are vintage and modern Aviations around. Even Cal 11/12 Aviations.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

No Helmut Sinn did. O W was not involved there is a second small guy with the tooling though in CH.

17. Braindrain Mar 12, 2019

Wait, numerous internet articles and people refer to both Sinn and O&W buying up old Breitling parts. Are you saying that's all incorrect?

Not saying I'm an authority on the subject (not even close).

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

Kinda... sorta... I guess I should have been more clear and put 2 and 2 together... I was only aware of the 2 buyers and the current owner of the tooling.

OK...

Currently the tooling is owned by Mr. A Wajs at http://www.chronotime.ch/

O& W was founded by Albert Wajs as above in the 50's but closed in the early 80's. Then reopened in the 90's by Wajs and then sold to a French collector in 2017.

So yes and no... The current O&W has little to do with the old one, and when it reopened in the 90's the tooling and rights to the 806 was never transferred to O&W. O&W actually have some nice looking pieces dropping later this year at not bad prices.

Braindrain likes this.
  19. Braindrain Mar 13, 2019

Ahhh.... OK. Didn't know about the rights not transferring to the new entity from the 90s

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. arcadelt Mar 13, 2019

I have both an 806 and 81600 - I much prefer the latter. BTW, I think apart from the Chronograph second hand and the crystal, the one you are looking at is a nice example and probably worth what they are asking, especially if it comes serviced and with some for of warranty.