Forums Latest Members

Is UV Resin a good material to apply under a dial?

1. kaplan Sep 18, 2023

Recently bought a watch with a loose dial logo

After attaching it, I've been considering applying UV resin only on the underside and not push it inside the hole, so basically hoping it'll latch onto the feet of the furniture and help keep it in place

Wondering if there's any potential issues by applying UV resin inside a watch

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 00.57.16.png
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 18, 2023

Many (millions of) crystals are bonded to watch cases with UV setting glue so I can't see a problem.
    When applying the glue it only needs to be a minute amount, any glue not in contact with the pin/dial interface is not doing any bonding, a bit like the amount of oil to be used on jewels.
    I don't know if there would be enough contact surface between the pins and the dial to form a good bond, but it's a possible solution.

The only other option is peening, but that's already been done during production so there's not enough length in the pins to do it again.

kaplan likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 18, 2023

When I've had dials refinished they typically put a tiny dab of super glue on back side of the dial at the location of the pins.

kaplan and redpcar like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 18, 2023

Another good solution Norm.

Here's some info for @kaplan that may not be on the container (if he goes the superglue option).

Cyanoacrylate Adhesives
    They are single component general purpose adhesives. They are Cyanoacrylate monomers and traces of water on surfaces to be joined initiates polymerization. Water acts as a catalyst in the process. The notable feature of these adhesives is their exceptional speed of cure which is achieved in few seconds. As it polymerizes due to water, relative humidity (RH) in atmosphere is very important. If RH is less than 40 %, the speed of cure will be slower, and if it is higher than 75 %, cure will be faster – but with possible reduced bond strength. As curing takes place very fast, special clamps are not required. Only finger pressure is adequate to make strong joints after parts are accurately positioned. They bond variety of materials. Dissimilar parts also can be bonded by them. They are available in different grades based on type of material to be bonded.

Note:
    These adhesives are not recommended for bonding silicon rubber, Viton and Teflon.

Method of Application
    Clean both surfaces. A solvent wipe with butyl alcohol, MEK or acetone is considered satisfactory for most surfaces. For aluminium, a dichromate acid etch is recommended.
    Apply thin layer of adhesive on one of the surfaces to be bonded.
    Assemble parts at once ensuring that they are correctly positioned. Apply light contact pressure to prevent movement and minimize the bond gap.
    For Skin protection use nitrile gloves and aprons as necessary. Do not use PVC, nylon or cotton.

kaplan likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2023

I don;t use superglues because of the off gassing that they do. I typically use GS Hypo cement used for crystals.

6. ErichKeane Sep 19, 2023

I was going to suggest: If you use CA glue, make sure you don't assemble the watch for a week or two, particularly if you have an acrylic crystal. The offgassing can cause crazing.

kaplan likes this.
  7. kgb Sep 19, 2023

I don't think UV glue will set under an opaque logo. The UV light has to get to the glue. (Crystals are clear so that's workable.)

And as others have said, with cyanoacrylate you should give a few days in airflow before closing up the watch to prevent outgassing/fogging as well as crazing of certain plastics.

kaplan likes this.
  8. kaplan Sep 26, 2023

Thanks for all the feedback and help!