Forums Latest Members
  1. asrnj77 Feb 12, 2018

I was watching this and hoping that it would remain obtainable but it quickly spiraled out of my range. It looks like it has all the pieces but:

1) No DON bezel
    2) Chronograph not functioning
    3) Has 1039 bracelet but in fairly rough shape and needs a rebuild.
    4) replacement pusher

To go for over 7k is somewhat surprising for me. Maybe somebody has a DON bezel at home but already knowing that the movement is partially damaged without knowing why seems a little risky.

The seller did a good job of marketing this (kudos if you're on here). The buzzwords "unpolished" and "thrift store" are the money words and starting at a no reserve bid made it go crazy. If he had started the bidding at $6900 it's possible nobody would have bid. Everybody wants to feel like they got a deal...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SPEE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Justme, vintagestuff and 1jansen like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2018

3. asrnj77 Feb 12, 2018

a few more....it sold for $7100

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
  4. MaiLollo Feb 12, 2018

To be honest, with the low dollar, I don't feel like it's such a bad deal. Approximately 6/6.2k head only, add 2k for an OK DON and you have a nice watch for a nice price.
    The dial and hands look good, which is where 80% of the value of a vintage speedmaster is, in my opinion.
    As far as the movement is concerned, I agree, it's a bit of a shot in the dark, especially with parts supply on the 321s being what it is.

EDIT: I've just noticed the dial damage, explained by the owner below. Considering that, it's not the best deal ever, but hey, you get a 321 Speedy for an OK price...

Edited Feb 12, 2018
  5. JimJupiter Feb 12, 2018

Justme likes this.
  6. Justme Feb 12, 2018

This was my watch. Apparently my jeweler’s certified watch guy rubbed some Tritium off the dial and crushed my soul (and didn’t mention the issue). I think it was an issue only a collector would truly notice but didn’t want the buyer to get it and be disappointed. When I reposted it from my desk at work, I left to get coffee and when I returned, it had a $4295 offer and then showed sold. Within 30 minutes. I’m shocked. There is another sitting out there on the ‘Bay and I’m guessing it will go crazy also. But that is not mine. I’m just going to enjoy my Seamaster. It would drive me insane to bump a vintage Speedy against something and cause damage and loss if value to it.

7. asrnj77 Feb 12, 2018

I suppose that’s a good point. I want a nice Speedmaster but I wouldn’t want to worry that a sudden jolt of my arm or catching a football is going to potentially destory some significant value to my watch. I like to wear them and enjoy them - not look at them through protective glass.

Justme likes this.
  8. gdupree Feb 12, 2018

9. vintagestuff Feb 12, 2018

I was watching this one, too, and I contacted the seller an hour before the sale ended when I took a closer look at the photos of the dial. Take a look. The photo with the dial out of the case shows a very nice dial with fairly even patina and no big issues. Now look at the photo in the case under crystal. Look at the 7 and 6 markers and the entire bottom of the dial. At first I thought his watchmaker had pulled a fast one and swapped his dial with a lesser one, but the top of the dial is consistent. When I asked him about it, he confirmed the damage and said he would tell the buyer. That is why it was re listed and sold without the photos showing the dial before damage. To me, 7100 was far too much as it was, but at 4900, he paid high market value. And given that the chrono is not working, service could run high when finding these parts is very, very difficult and costly. The buyer jumped on it, but he may live to regret that soon. The dial is no longer attractive, in my opinion. The seller said the watchmaker damaged it during the service. He only installed the crystal, pusher, and crown. My guess is he installed the crystal with the movement in the case, which is a very bad idea. While pressing the crystal in place, it may have slipped and pressed into the dial. That's a guess based on the damage. Note to any of you installing a crystal: TAKE THE MOVEMENT OUT OF THE CASE first. I just noticed the photos in this thread do not show the dial in the case as it was after the damage. You will need to look at the photos from the relist or first listing to see the damage in the case. And to add to the list of issues the watch has that make its value questionable: There is some pretty severe scarring on at least one of the lugs. It is far beyond normal wear for a case.

The other watch just noted here has a scraped dial AND no bezel. Why any vintage collector would want a dial with no patina is beyond me.

Edited Feb 12, 2018
    Justme likes this.
  10. vintagestuff Feb 12, 2018

Now I see the seller is actually a member here and typed an explanation before I finished mine. "I think it was an issue only a collector would truly notice..." Would anyone other than a collector pay good money for a watch like this? Until I saw the seller's post here, I thought the guy was just someone who got lucky at a thrift store, but knowing he's a watch guy who knows the importance of dial condition, etc., I'm more skeptical about the first listing. :cautious:

11. Justme Feb 12, 2018

Nope. I’m a member here because as a picker, I was directed here to get more info on Omega watches. And everyone here is full of knowledge. I have picked up several Omega watches in the past and learning about them has been great. I am keeping my 60s Omega Seamaster because I like nice things. But I know collectors are more particular about dials and there are folks like me who just like nice watches. I actually didn’t notice the Tritium issue until two people contacted me a few hours before the listing ended. The second person was so knowledgeable that I then looked at the watch even closer and realized there was the scratches that I hadn’t noticed. I thought the dial was perfect up until then. One thing I have learned is that there are a lot folks who will look over certain issues to have a desirable item. I think this buyer from Malaysia will be satisfied.

12. Justme Feb 12, 2018

BTW, Thanks Vintagestuff! If not for your contacting me during the auction, I would have sent this off to a disappointed buyer at a crazy $7100 cost. And I certainly would not have noticed the issue. I looked at the watch after my wife picked it up and thought how beautiful it looked under the new crystal. Ignorance is bliss to the uninformed.

ConElPueblo and MaiLollo like this.
  13. vintagestuff Feb 12, 2018

As I've noted and another member pointed out, the dial is extremely important to these old Speedmasters. Finding replacements with nice patina and without damage is expensive and difficult. For me, a bad dial is a deal killer on almost any cal 321 Speedmaster. It's a good thing that you sold it to a seller now who will have no grounds to complain since he bought it without seeing the photos of the dial pre damage. I am stunned that a pro watchmaker would do that to a dial when he was only swapping a crystal and pusher, both actions that any amateur could accomplish fairly easily. You are taking it very well. I'd be at his shop taking him to task until I was satisfied. Totally unacceptable. I'm sure the bracelet was the reason it gathered so much interest, along with a dial that was nice, now is less nice. It will make a nice project for someone who didn't want to spend 7 to 10k on a more finished/complete example. I imagine with a decent correct bezel and service, maybe spiff the bracelet, the watch would have fetched 10 to 12k without much trouble. That damaged lug might have held it back. Oh, and maybe straighten the sweep second hand. Good luck to you.

MaiLollo likes this.