Forums Latest Members

Is this vintage Longines worth anything?

1. Evolution_of_RW Nov 7, 2013

I saw this at a thrift store today. I think it was gold. It was inscribed on the back with a man's and it was from his company. I believe it was for his 25th anniversary with the company because it said "1918-1943". This thrift store has a tendency to Jack prices way up when they think something is even semi valuable. Is this thing worth anything. For what it's worth, it did run when I wound it. Thanks for any help gentlemen. Have a great night!!

Rob..

image.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

If it's 14ct solid gold it's worth that in scrap value. The dial looks refinished though. What's under the hood - a 9L?

3. Evolution_of_RW Nov 7, 2013

Oh and I am very sorry for the crappy picture. I just snapped a quick picture for reference while in the store. I could probably go back and grab it tomorrow if it's worth it/if anybody wants it.

4. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

No worries. It's a pretty unspectacular watch, especially in the condition it's in.

5. Evolution_of_RW Nov 7, 2013

Thanks for the clarification Dennis! You are the man. I figured it was overpriced. This is the same place I found those two vintage Omegas the other day. Thank god those were priced much better! Lol

6. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

I'd want to know if it's solid gold before I dismissed it. If it is, the movement could be used for parts or a complete replacement and the case scrapped. If you broke even on the gold, you'd be ahead. Do they accept offers?

7. Evolution_of_RW Nov 7, 2013

they dont. but usually when they overprice something, it just sits there and then they reduce it significantly. I will keep my eye on it. I will also look closer to see if it is solid gold and report back. Thanks again..

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 8, 2013

Pretty sure that is a redial. Is that price in dollars, euros or pounds? If in euros or pounds, then it's likely way in excess of scrap value even if solid 14K gold.

D - 99.9% sure that is a cal. 9L inside.
    gatorcpa

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 8, 2013

Wow, for all that wear on a watch that's already been redialed, I see no obvious points where the brass would be showing through the gold. It should say along the back edge. If It's worn off and there's still no brass showing, I'm guessing solid 14k.