Forums Latest Members
  1. satoken Jan 24, 2014

Hi,

I am wondering if this Vacheron Constantin is a fake one. Its 18k gold, Caliber 453. There is no SWISS made, no Caliber number, few description..:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the original Caliber 453/3B :
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much for your input.

st.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 24, 2014

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 24, 2014

Looks like a 453 to me, dated by the serial number to about 1938-40. I understand t were various grades of the 453 and the one you have shown looks like a basic model and very near to the JLC ebauche on which it was based. The versions with the swan neck regulator were chronometers I believe and a higher grade of watch, some of which had 18 jewels and the Geneva seal, although the finishing of the first example above is still superb.

You would need to have a close up of the dial to confirm if the dial is refinished or not.

Cheers

Desmond

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 24, 2014

I also think the pictures of the watch in question are overexposed, so much of the finish detail on the movement is difficult to see.

5. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2014

That's a trick used to hide faults, so I'd be wary there's something fishy going on.

The dial has been refinished. The ampersand (the "&" symbol) is the wrong font, and there is no accent over the E in GENÈVE - 2 common mistakes made by redialers.

This watch was made around 1935 according to the serial number.

I would walk away from it. As pointed out above, there are some doubts about the movement being 100% correct. I think it's a franken watch of some degree. The dial could even be a JLC dial that was reprinted with V&C, but that's only speculation.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 24, 2014

I second Desmond's opinions above. The movement is definitely genuine, though its condition is in some question based on the over-exposure.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

I'll second both Desmond's and Dennis's conclusions. The movement looks right for the case and the style of the dial. Crown look a bit funny to me. It's correct for the period, but doesn't look right on this watch.

But I do think the dial was redone fairly recently. It's a nice quality job. It's very hard to get those gold "pearls" on the dial just right, but this person did it. Just missing some of the very fine details of the original, like getting the sunken subseconds area sharp and the accent marks.

Unless this is a bargain, I'd pass.
    gatorcpa

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 24, 2014

Having owned a few Vacheron's "along the way to going broke" I totally agree. As you may know these 453/3B movements were some of, if not their best mechanical movements. I believe these were most common with a "mushroom" crown.

9. satoken Jan 24, 2014

Thank you all very much for your inputs.
    I found this kind of caliber on the web:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]