Forums Latest Members

Is this Used PO a Good Deal? Newbie question

1. SuperSaver Sep 13, 2017

Hi all,

I'm looking into a 232.30.42.21.01.003 Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm 600mm. "Excellent Condition". Purchased through AD in 2015. Seller says the crystal and bezel is scratch free. Bracelet and clasp excellent condition. Comes with original Omega box, warranty card and proof of purchase. Selling for $2900.

Will meet face-to-face. No Paypal accepted. I've never bought/sold anything more expensive than a coffeemaker like this before.

Should I be wary?

2. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Sep 13, 2017

compared to Chrono24.de your price sounds quite good.... may be to good to be true? I am not in the market to give a reliable answer.

If I would have to decide wether or not buying it, I need to make my decision before meeting up. Try to check wether it is real or not.
    Maybe you post some pics of your future watch so that the pros might give you a go or not.
    Talking of me I would do so. Buying watches is always an exiting project that might make you blind.

regards

Jens

IDXM and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 13, 2017

Typically we would love to see pictures of the item so we can advice accordingly. I would recommend you ask the seller for refferenes and pictures. We will be happy to help out assess the piece. That said, if one accepts authenticity then the 2015, 8500 cal PO is a good buy. I personally prefer the 2500 cal but with this one you get the ceramic bezel that is so in vogue...

In any event If you can make sure you can return if not authentic and find a way to authenticate it. Don't know where you're at georgraphically but many watchmakers will assess for a small fee.

Price is ok. Not great, not bad, ....if it's box, papers, signed warranty card and a good version of it then it's ok if you love it but you can get 2500's brand new at gray market for about 3500 to 4000. so it would be about right on the sense of a second hand being 20 to 30% bellow that. Just make a good google search for the item and judge accordingly.

Bare in mind that a hand to hand transaction is completely uninsured and not secure unless you know the seller well or he/she has great references. Meet at the lobby of your bank branch or a public cafe where he cannot run out with your money (it does happen)

Good Luck

4. Albe100 Sep 13, 2017

Have you checked passed sale listings on the bay, WatchRecon and the forums? It's a good start to see how good of a deal it is and if it's too good to be true. Agree with the above comments as well.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2017

Be aware these have been faked to a high level. We really need pictures.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Mozziebite Sep 13, 2017

I'd be very, very careful about doing a deal face to face without due diligence, both on the watch and buyer.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. lhawli Sep 13, 2017

This ^

I too would not consider any PO if it's not the 2500 caliber. I have the 42mm PO caliber 2500D and if you were to do a straight trade with me for a the new 8500 cal I would pass.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. JSal16 Sep 13, 2017

Why do you guys prefer the 2500 cal over the newer 8500?

9. SuperSaver Sep 13, 2017

Thanks everyone so much for the help!
    Price is now $2800. He is "selling to help pay for a Rolex". I'm a bit wary because he is selling less than all the on-line dealers. I called a Rolex watch appraisal in town, and he said he wouldn't pay more than $2500 for a 2+year old PO.

I find this odd, because one can not buy one for under $3000 online from by brief search. Here are the pic's

Will hope to meet either at an appraiser or bank. Hope to get written contract signed by him. He's not a watch dealer, and has no references. He just wants to sell this PO and take case to buy Rolex.

po1.jpg po2.jpg po3.jpg po4.jpg po5.jpg
  10. JSal16 Sep 13, 2017

Any dealer will need to purchase the watch for less than they plan to sell it for. Otherwise, it’s not worth their time unless the seller of the watch is also purchasing a new watch from that same dealer. That’s why a dealer will need to pay less than what you are seeing used PO’s for online. To me, it sounds like this particular seller just wants to get rid of the watch to help fund his Rolex obsession. He’s undercutting the used online market to sell it quickly. Good luck with the transaction and wear it in good health knowing that you got a deal on a great time piece.

IDXM and Foo2rama like this.
  11. nurseford25 Sep 13, 2017

From those pictures this looks like a legit PO 8500. I would like to see a direct shot of the back of the watch to be sure though.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2017

2500 vs 8500

Mostly the thinner case is what people like.

oddboy and Taddyangle like this.
  13. lhawli Sep 13, 2017

The 42mm PO (2201.50) is by far the most balanced and beautiful PO ever made, arguably diver watch ever made IMO. The thickness of the new 8500 PO just kills it for me, I mean have you seen those things?

And the fact that the 2500 cal is selling used for the same price range as some 8500 cal POs is a testimony to the flop of the design of the newer models.

Edited Sep 13, 2017
    Foo2rama and Nobel Prize like this.
  14. bnabod Sep 13, 2017

Just buy mine on watchrecon w the new upgraded clasp w on the fly micro adjustment ;)

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 13, 2017

Thinner case and aluminum bezel

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. SuperSaver Sep 19, 2017

So I've done quite a bit of searching online. I have yet to find a better deal than the above PO 8500 for under $2800. This is still under original warranty. Will go to a local appraiser to verify its authenticity

To those of you who have transacted CASH ONLY, is it reasonable to have seller sign a contract of good faith? It appears to me that the seller should discount the watch significantly to mitigate the risk of a cash only transaction

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

Wish full thinking. Bank transfer is seemless and traceable, minimal costs.

18. SuperSaver Sep 21, 2017

So the deal is done, and I am quite happy!
    $2700 cash!
    The seller paid $5322 at Jared 23 months ago. Looks like it just came out of AD display case.
    I had it Authenticated at trusted local Watch Appraisal store.

I still do not understand why people buy these luxury items new, seek only 5% discount from AD, wear them briefly, and take a 50% (Fifty!) loss on depreciation.

I feel like I won the lottery. Love this much more than Speedy Pro I saw in store

IMG_0307.JPG
    Wivac, Starman71, oddboy and 3 others like this.
  19. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

You've bagged an absolutely unbelievable bargain there. Nice one! :thumbsup:

20. SuperSaver Sep 21, 2017

Thanks! It is interesting because I went to a few online dealers today to verify.... and they offered $1600 to buy the watch (due to a $400 servicing fee).

The watch pricing industry is very confusing to me

FOR BUYERS:
    $6300 MSRP new at AD
    $3500 gray market new
    $3200 used, private seller with warranty

FOR Sellers:
    $ 1600, to online brokers

So, this watch is worth anywhere between $1600-3200???