Forums Latest Members

Is This Ultra Chron a Redial?

1. Excalious Jan 4, 2020

Hello,

I was hoping to get some expert advice on this one.

It looks pretty attractive (to a noobie like me), but I'm not sure if the dial is redone.

Compared to other ultra-chrons, the ends of the A and the C in "Automatic" are not as curly, though it appears that the fonts in these models did not stay constant.

Also, the date window does not look evenly spaced between the 4 and 5 though, this could be an angle issue.

Furthermore, the reference number on the caseback appears to be "8253" or "6253" (apologies for the blurriness, not my photos), but entering Longines + those numbers into google images returns nothing that looks like this.

Lastly, what do you think is fair value for something like this piece?

Thanks in advance!

longines1.PNG longines2.PNG longines3.PNG longines4.PNG longines5.PNG longines6.PNG
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 4, 2020

Should be an 8353.

Can't really offer much on the dial based on those photos, but shiny black is always suspect.

Where is the watch located?

IMG_4233.jpg

3. Excalious Jan 4, 2020

Eastern Europe (Poland) which is not super re-assuring.

That kind of 1 tone black was kind of a red flag, but the fonts seem to be printed a lot better than most all-black redials so I couldn't be sure

4. 77deluxe Jan 4, 2020

+1 for suspicious.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 4, 2020

Compared to my watch, there should be no tick marks surrounding the date window and there should be a contrasting tick adjacent to the hour markers. Date window looks soft as well, like it's been painted over, it should have very crisp chamfered edges.

longines3.PNG

77deluxe likes this.
  6. Excalious Jan 4, 2020

Thank you sirs, looks like too many red flags for safety.

In my opinion, that model looks really good in black. Wish they were easier to come across!