Forums Latest Members
  1. TNTwatch Aug 7, 2013

2. John R Smith Aug 7, 2013

No. Or at the very least, not the correct rotor. It should say "adjusted five (5) positions" if it were a Constellation movement.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 7, 2013

Could be a replaced bumper weight OR a completely replaced movement, either way is is NOT correct.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2013

The cal. 354 came in both a chronometer and non-chronometer version. The only visible difference between the two would have been engraving on the rotor.

These rotors may be found at parts suppliers on occasion. If you were to get the correct rotor and swap it out, it would be impossible to determine if the movement was original to the watch or not. Omega does not research this even if you purchase their "Extract of the Archives".

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

PS - The same is not true of the earlier cal. 352, which had a different regulator and polished winding wheels.

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. mbeast Aug 7, 2013

Looks like it has a 354 unless my eyes deceive me, which came in both chronometer and non-chronometer rated versions. Like John says, it has the wrong rotor at the very least. Lugs look quote rounded/polished, no defined edge to the bezel and an incorrect crown too I think. Would give it a miss if I were you.

6. John R Smith Aug 7, 2013

Gator, I'm really shocked by this very naughty suggestion. Especially suggesting such a thing to a new and impressionable member . . .:whipped:

TNTwatch likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2013

I don't think that's "naughty" at all. The bumper and early rotor movements tended to wear out their rotor bearings. It was usually easier for a watchmaker to swap the entire autowind assembly that try to fix the bearings. They would get the full cal. 35X autowind assembly, which came with a generic rotor. Many times they didn't bother to re-swap the original rotor, figuring that the customer would never know the difference. So that is what was done more often than not.

I've had several watches with this problem over the years and simply replaced the offending part with the correct one. If anything, the watch is being restored to its full glory,
    gatorcpa

TNTwatch likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Aug 7, 2013

Nothing wrong with correcting something that's off. ;)

9. John R Smith Aug 7, 2013

Well, I did have my tongue very firmly in my cheek ;) I've just been looking for an excuse to use that particular smiley . . .

P.S. Being serious for a moment, what we really need is a list of which 354 serial numbers were chronometer rated (and by implication, which were not). And that of course is just what we don't have (unless Desmond knows otherwise, of course).

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2013

What one can do is find other examples of cal. 354 chronometers (Constellations and Seamasters) and note the serial numbers. These things tend to be done in productions runs of a few hundred to a few thousand consecutive movements, rather than one-of's.

No offense taken, but I did want the original poster to know that it was possible to "reverse the curse" as it were by sourcing the correct parts.
    gatorcpa

11. ulackfocus Aug 7, 2013

The overpolished bezel and case won't be as easy to fix. :(