Forums Latest Members

Is this the correct gear colour for the 145.022-69ST Straight Writing?

1. RelozoBoi Jul 2, 2018

I've noticed that most if not all of of the straight writing I've seen has a gold colour for this. Would this be a replacement?

IMG_8977.jpg

Edit: rephrased text

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 2, 2018

Definitely gold colour on my 861 from 1971

RelozoBoi likes this.
  3. Caliber561 Jul 2, 2018

Any 68-71 861 movement should have gold colored chrono wheels and brushed steel chrono parts.

4. RelozoBoi Jul 3, 2018

Cheers - will give this a miss.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2018

Are you 100% sure pre delrin brakes ones are?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2018

Not a speedmaster but same years 32xxx serial

image.jpeg

7. RelozoBoi Jul 3, 2018

I had somebody in my local forum send me a pic from the moonwatch only. Straight Writing came in two flavours

Steel Brake which is .68 -.74 - gold gears
    Delrin Brake which is .69 - .74 - metal gears

Technically this is actually still legit but it's a hard call...

Edit: brakes doesn't look plastic from here...

Edit 2: Given the shade of the movement, so in my guess, this is a steel brake with those gears circled taken from delrin. the movement serial would indicate that it's made before delrin because as per the book, delrin was made prior to 32.849.xx...

Edited Jul 3, 2018
    connieseamaster likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2018

Even if these are replacement parts, does that really matter? Movement parts are replaced all the time as part of normal servicing...

Foo2rama, red crowned and Faz like this.
  9. RelozoBoi Jul 3, 2018

I supposed not, but given there's no known service history (not saying there wasn't any as well) and wasn't advertised to have had any parts replaced, it's just nice to know what I am buying as well.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2018

No known service history [​IMG] Has never been serviced ever, even once.

Keep in mind that these were once "just watches" and owners didn't fret over every small detail like this. If it was sent in for service, the owner likely wouldn't have a clue what was or wasn't replaced, so not being advertised as having parts replaced again doesn't mean that parts were not legitimately replaced to keep it functional.

What you buy and how seriously you take these issues of replacement parts is completely up to you, but often I find people take these things as some sign of nefarious activity, when there's no evidence of that at all...just a properly maintained watch...

Cheers, Al

11. Faz Jul 3, 2018

"What you buy and how seriously you take these issues of replacement parts is completely up to you, but often I find people take these things as some sign of nefarious activity, when there's no evidence of that at all...just a properly maintained watch..."

The above is the trees in the forest some don't see in this hobby.

BenBagbag, Foo2rama, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  12. RelozoBoi Jul 3, 2018

That is true. Personally I don't consider this as a nefarious activity. As you said, they were once just watches and some just properly maintained more. I just basically want to get what I paid for and for the right cost.

As always, appreciate the feedback and food for thought :)

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2018

Your buying a vintage watch that had one owner for 30 years and could have had 6-7 owners since that. ;)
    Not forgetting with a watch this old the first 40 years is unknown about once it changes several hands.

Faz likes this.
  14. Faz Jul 3, 2018

And given today's dynamic in vintage Speedmasters, it may have just a well changed hands 40 times in the last couple of years!

STANDY likes this.
  15. mr_yossarian Jul 3, 2018

You probably haven't seen too many, because this is all correct. Can you share some pics of SW's with the Hour recorder yoke/coupling wheel bridge that are "gold colored"?