Forums Latest Members
  1. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 15, 2015

I am of the mindset that relume jobs are among the hardest things to judge through the computer screen, but we can certainly make educated guesses based on overall condition of the watch. I just came across a watch that really has me on the fence. On one hand, the lume, for all its "puffiness" and patina, looks pretty uniform with just some minor snaking. While on the other, the dial itself looks a little too pristine. We all know what moisture can do to the lacquer of a Speedy dial, and it is a bit hard for me to imagine that whatever elements effected the lume left the rest of the dial unscathed. It also bothers me that the lume is unperturbed by the step in the dial. Would love to hear some thoughts.

3475452_xxl.jpg 3475452b_xxl.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 15, 2015

Looks like relumed and baked, but not that I know that much about older speedmasters like some here. Have laughed at some of the calls over time like Wasabi dial,Coffee dial etc

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. Geordie Jul 15, 2015

Enlargement. Looks sound to me but I'm no expert.

3475452_xxl.jpg

4. Geordie Jul 15, 2015

Some wear on the bottom sub dial.

3475452b_xxl.jpg

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 15, 2015

The hands look a little too good to be true to me and the dial lume matches perfectly, though she does look very pretty

gophishin and Atin like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 15, 2015

She does look pretty. Almost too much so. I cannot say for sure but I tend to think it may be printed...or whatever it is they do. The fact that the lume on the hands so perfectly matches and is so complete on all hands is a bit much.

Edited Jul 15, 2015
    JohnSteed and Spacefruit like this.
  7. JohnSteed Jul 15, 2015

+ 1. Besides, no tool watch from yore really should have such BRIGHT looking lume, I'm thinking, unless stored in a time capsule maybe

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 15, 2015

I think this one we can call "brown sugar Lume" since all patinas have their own names these days.

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 15, 2015

The lume and hands certainly do match exceedingly well. I'd suspect some sort of touch up, but it probably wouldn't dissuade me from pursuing.

Any more details to share? Price? ...location?... ;)

10. davten Jul 15, 2015

I started this thread about this watch
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/beautiful-105-003.27242/
    The thing is, if I hadn't bought the Moonwatch Only book and joined this forum and learned anything about these watches I would buy this one and wear it and love it. Look at it! It's lovely.
    However, yes I agree. I can't believe the lume hasn't been tinkered with (definitely the hands).
    But, let's say the original hands were taken off because the lume had all but fallen out and the paint was flaking and that these are replacements and have been made to match the dial... I'd be happy with that because it looks so much better.
    It's such a conflict for me. Everybody seems to want absolutely untouched examples but I did a gig the other night for Chris Evans. He had some of his beautiful classic cars outside. People loved seeing them. Imagine if he'd never touched them up. Kept the paint the same over the years...
    IMG_4440.JPG

Javi22 and Northernman like this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 15, 2015

If it has been redone, it is one of the best applications I've ever seen.

And if so, I want to know who did the work. "Too perfect" is far better than "crappy relume job".

RawArcher, 1685 and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. davten Jul 15, 2015

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 15, 2015

Cool, what sort of gig did you do for Chris Evans?

14. davten Jul 15, 2015

Oh, I'm a keyboard player/ session musician. It was a charity performance in the pub garden for a BBC Children in Need fundraiser. We were playing for Will Young that night. That pub is owned by Chris Evans. I mentioned it cos the cars were such a beautiful thing to behold. I realise it's like comparing apples to oranges but it's a point worth making I think. For me, the aesthetics must come first with watches - because you're wearing it. The horological interest would come second. Unless of course you collect and never wear them like John Goldberger but that's not most of us is it?

15. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 15, 2015

I

16. davten Jul 15, 2015

I understand completely. And it's my biggest conflict. I guess it depends on what the watch looked like to begin with. Some have been abused. Each situation is different.
    For example, if someone had already done this to a watch....
    DSC07795 (Large).JPG
    ...then IMO it would be perfectly acceptable to have a clever artist do this....
    DSC07797 (Large).JPG

Taddyangle, Nobel Prize and rogart like this.
  17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 15, 2015

Sure, tough to argue against that one

18. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 15, 2015

Sorry guys, I should have been more thorough to check to see that there was another thread with this watch.

The seller is andee www.rarebirds.de asking price €8200

19. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 15, 2015

Lume shot of the watch after being charged with phone flashlight

image1.jpeg

20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 15, 2015

the listing says the watch is now sold.