Forums Latest Members

Is this some sort of scam I don’t know about?

1. Donn Chambers Jun 3, 2021

I have received several emails in the last few months from “buyers” saying that someone (different names each time) gave them my name as a reference and they are looking for confirmation. These are for high value watches - new Rolex GMT Master, a PP Nautilus. I, of course, have never heard of these “sellers.” The first time, I wrote back and said I’d never heard of this seller, never did business with them, watch out, etc. Never got a response back.

Just got another email today. Different email address, but a little too similar to the other one in style: <name>.<name>.gmail, and the text of the message is also similar. These emails are really starting to look phony. But what’s the point? Are they confirming my email exists if I reply, then using that in their scam? Should I not reply?

Thoughts are welcome.

2. connieseamaster Jun 3, 2021

Sounds like they might be fishing for real pictures or something for scam listings down the road. I'd just ignore and delete.

3. Syzygy Jun 3, 2021

Agreed, sounds like the first steps of a phishing attack. Do not reply.

MtnMarine likes this.
  4. Donn Chambers Jun 3, 2021

That’s the thing. They don’t ask for anything other than confirmation if I purchased any watch from this person, who supposedly used me as a reference. Only an idiot would reply back with anything else other than no (like pictures). Of course there may be people out there who don’t remember anything and would say, “Oh yeah, I just bought a Nautilus from some random guy whose name I don’t remember. Maybe that’s him? Here’s a picture of it!”

The thing is, I would feel bad if this is a legit reference check and someone is using my name to scam someone and I don’t let them know. But I guess I’d better be safe and protect myself.

5. jeppe888 Jun 3, 2021

i sounds like a scam to me.
    i think its great you share these things because it helps other people to be alert and thoughtful.

DaveK, MtnMarine, Farmer and 2 others like this.
  6. Rado63 Jun 3, 2021

I would not even open the email. Don't respond just delete.

7. cineaste Jun 3, 2021

If you have time and are in the mood for trolling, just reply with photos of replicas.

Edited Jun 3, 2021
    vibe likes this.
  8. JohnWoo Jun 3, 2021

Definite scam, I receive similar with text messages also.
    Suggest delete and ignore.

9. machamp6650 Jun 3, 2021

I wonder if they're skimming details from known watch sales (e.g. big new purchases on insta) and linking that to info about people who sell similar classes of watches? They could then use this to seed an online scam like a fake purchase with the seller?

In any case, run a mile!

connieseamaster and JohnWoo like this.
  10. ghce Jun 4, 2021

There is another more scary scenario in that they are scoping you out as a collector so they can steal from you directly.
    One very easy trap is with photos especially those from mobile phones, is that they may contain GPS data as to the location that the photo was taken from.

lindo and apsm100 like this.
  11. Donn Chambers Jun 4, 2021

To follow up, just received this email, in reply to the response I sent a couple of weeks ago:

Thanks for your response.....

DavidSW just listed you on timezone forums as a reference....

Here is a link to the post with you as his reference......”

And the link goes to a page (not timezone but looks a little like it) needing a password.

so, yep, a long-game phishing attack.

12. Donn Chambers Jun 4, 2021

And just as I wrote this, someone started a thread on the Timezone public forum about it and several people have replied “me too.”

thanks everyone for confirming this was suspect. If they’d included the link to begin with, I would have known it was a phishing attack immediately. I guess they hadn’t read the inscrructions before their first email. :)

13. cineaste Jun 4, 2021

Actually, just by opening the link you give your IP away and also exposing yourself to malware.

14. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 4, 2021

Thank you, I did not know this :eek:

E61479D6-8F2A-4D7F-8045-92B5F7FEA192.jpeg

SmithSJ and Pvt-Public like this.
  15. connieseamaster Jun 5, 2021

I would change all of your passwords from a different computer and set up 2 factor authentication on every site that supports it.

16. G-Web Jun 5, 2021

I received one such email a few days ago (screenshot below).
    I knew it was fishy off the bat, but like some others have said here, I'm unclear on its angle.
    Looking forward to hearing more thoughts.

Cheers,
    -GW
    Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 6.32.46 AM.png

17. Donn Chambers Jun 5, 2021

Not my first rodeo; I have very good security software that checks for malicious code in links and identifies it — this was just a link to a bogus site to attempt to steal a password. It was not very sophisticated.

connieseamaster likes this.
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 5, 2021

Dreadful scammers!

I have these people that phone me every couple of days, from India, telling me that the British police will come to my home, and arrest me for tax irregularities.

They insist I give them my name, date of birth and full address.:D

I normally say "OK mate... have you got a pen? Write this down!

Go f#@* yourself you no good piece of s#@* .... I hope you fall in one of the shite filled holes in ya fakked up roads.... you scamming c@#*!:mad:
    Right..now mate, we're you able to spell all of that OK? Shall I repeat it for you... slowly?" :mad:

But still they phone again!::confused2::

Anyway, it cheers me up! :D and then I go and make a cup of tea, have a little laugh to myself and look at my lovely old 1960's Omega Speedmaster.:)
    IMG_20190712_130817-1-1.jpg

Edited Jun 5, 2021
    connieseamaster likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 5, 2021

Next time tell them your Rogan Josh from 4 Naan street Papadum and you were born 15 August 1947.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.