Forums Latest Members
  1. Melhadary Dec 16, 2012

Been offered this SM 1000, but the dial looks funny... was there ever an early SM 1000 dial design or a different variant?

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 16, 2012

your dial is a reprint. the omega font and sign are not correct. on the other hand your example seems genuine(exept dial); it`s beat up a lot and would not fit the scores of many new ones on ebay and watchfairs, that are re-assembled from different parts, after a cache of cases surfaced. it`s a question of price. the value has slumped after the never ending auctions of NOS looking SM 1000`s hit the market. you will find an original dial. kind regards. achim

3. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2012

Achim, add your comment AFTER the [/quote] so it appears outside of the other post. I fixed it this time. ;)

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 16, 2012

thanks, guys ! i just wanted to avoid the re-posting of all pictures.

5. Melhadary Dec 17, 2012

Many thanks watchyouwant.... I suppose I was expecting that, but again, looking for informed and educated sets of eyes and opinions ofcourse :thumbsup:

I will keep updating here regarding price and related negotiations.

6. Melhadary Dec 17, 2012

What would be the fair value for this watch? The seller is asking me to propose a price.... and I don't want to over or under estimate, given the incorrect dial, but also the originality of the watch overall... can anyone help?

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 17, 2012

that is a hard question........a good original one used to trade around US$ 6000 2-3 years back.after the put-togethers hit the market, you could buy these around US$ 4000. now these offerings out of switzerland realized that and wait a while before selling the next one. that has helped priced get back a bit to under US$ 5000. i`d offer US$ 3500 plus something because of the dial. i must have a look; i might have a dial somewhere.... kind regards. achim

8. Melhadary Dec 18, 2012

Thank you, Achim.... this is very helpful.... Initially, I've asked the seller for inside pics of the movement, and made it clear to him that it has definitely been tampered with (even the refinished dial is on the wrong way around placing the crown on the wrong side of the watch!) He is not a collector or watch enthusiast so I am trying to direct him honestly and sincerely to the fair truth of things, and then offer him a fair price accordingly as you've recommended.

Am grateful if you do find an original dial amongst your collection, really appreciate your help. There is actually one being sold NOS on ebay now, but I would prefer one that has come off a used original to keep true to the lively spirit of the watch.... NOS sparkle doesn't do it for me!