Forums Latest Members

Is this Seiko 6309-7040 real or FAKE?

1. KarlsKrone Aug 31, 2017

Dear members,

I need your help! Does anybody knows something about vintage Seiko Turtles and maybe is able to spot a fake?
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/302427442564?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    This Seiko seems really interesting to me. Serial number, case back and everything seems fine. But what about the dial and hands?

Thank you in advance!!
    Cheers

Seiko.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2017

I believe that's an aftermarket dial. I think it should be beveled at the date window.

There are resources out there if you google for them.

The spots to check if I remember correctly is bezel fonts and the date window.

Edited Aug 31, 2017
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2017

The dial & hands look original
    The dial and hands are original on this one The case is polished to match the bracelet, bezel insert non original replacement with 6105 crystal One of my beater 6309's

043.jpg
    Edited Aug 31, 2017
    simon.pearl likes this.
  4. bigsom Aug 31, 2017

Dial: the spacing is correct for the JAPAN 6309 - 704L T text (good sign). I can't tell if the day and date window are beveled correctly. Most aftermarket dials do not have the beveled edge. The green WATER RESIST text is a common deterioration of the original orange/red text. Overall if the day/date window bevel is pronounced like in voere's watch then I think you're looking at an original dial.

EDIT - just zoomed in on the dial and there is no bevel to the window and also the lume plots are a little too poorly applied. I'll change my opinion to AM dial unless you have more photos.

Hands: Look original to me, the lume application seiko used for the hands is different form the dial for the 6309 and often times there's a different color shade as the dial plots become more yellow/orange and the hands are white/cream.

Bezel: that's an AM insert, numbers are too thick, dots too thick, little too high from the inner edge, pearl size too small.

Case: looks in super shape from the single photo but would need more. Do you have a case back shot?

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2017

This x 100. Although that shot makes it hard to see the bevel. I see no lume issue and the lower text looks legit. My concern was the bezel also.

All in all a nice piece, depends on price but I'd buy it, it presents well.

bigsom likes this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2017

Just for a reference picture This 6309 shows the original bezel the dial is from another Seiko 5 6309 which was NOS I figured give the diver another look with the light color dial,6105 crystal and sweep second hand with the original Seiko 5 hands

The 2nd picture is the original dial another example but it may show the day date window cut. I enjoy playing around with my versions of the 6309 divers

DSCN3583.jpg 005.JPG
    Foo2rama likes this.