Forums Latest Members
  1. BlackOrCrippled Jun 25, 2013

I have been looking to buy a vintage original Seamaster for quite some time now, very wary of purchasing a fake, franken or redial though!

Came across this 166.002 cal 565 and I'm quite excited and would really appreciate some help confirming it's all original and also that I'm not getting ripped off. Everything checks out to me with my novice knowledge, but was hoping some people who actually knew there stuff could give there opinions especially on the dial - that's my only concern is that it may be repainted. Also, regarding price its currently on offer at £550 but I'm hoping I could get it at £400-440. It appears very good condition and apparently has just been recently serviced. Is this a fair price, or if not what would you recommend I offer. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really appreciate you taking the time to read this and help out a young, novice enthusiast!

2. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2013

It's at least relumed, and might be a service replacement dial (made later for that watch & caliber). In most instances, a case like that has too many dings and too much wear for the dial to be in that good shape. Got a shot of the inside of the caseback?

3. wwhntr Jun 25, 2013

Hard to tell about dial from pictures, but looks like it may be original. Did notice a few spots around 12 and 6 o'clock. As for price, $600-700USD, seems high retail/boutique price. This is more in the range of what I'd expect to pay for similar/better condition chronometer grade Seamaster or possibly Constellation! I think you can do better than this one unless you can get it in the $300-400USD (250-300GBP). Just my 2 cents:)

4. BlackOrCrippled Jun 25, 2013

Yes the dial does seem a bit too good condition doesn't it, although there is some damaging particularly at 6 and a bit at 12. So if it is a redial, it still is at least a very good one? And there is only a small photo of inside caseback, posted below.

And I really appreciate your 2 cents :) ! I'm glad you think it's worth about that as that was more my initial price I was hoping for when searching but tbh I've really struggled to find a good automatic much less that £450. How much do you reckon the fact it has very recently been serviced adds to it? And where do you normally find pieces, watchrecon or ebay? Does it take months to find the right vintage at the right price?

[​IMG]

5. wwhntr Jun 25, 2013

I'm spoiled by the fact that my watchmaker will do a full service on an automatic mvt for around $45USD, excluding any parts. I have had good luck finding watches on eBay. You just have to really know what you are looking for and ask questions to eliminate disappointments. Knowledge will help your buying confidence go a long way. Also, buy the seller first...if they have say at least 100-200+ feedbacks and a rating of 98%+, chances are the transaction will be positive. If it is described as running, accuracy cannot be guaranteed, but a cleaning will normally be all that is needed. I can usually tell if the crystal is good, but if replaced with an original Omega crystal that can run another $35-50 ($20-25, if OEM is not important to you). Don't forget, you can always use this forum for feedback on something you're looking at on eBay. Hope this helps!

6. Hijak Jun 25, 2013

Not always, don't always go by this...there are plenty of sellers on ebay that have good feedback and sell crap. There are plenty of stories on this forum of exactly that! If you see something that you like and want to buy get the opinion of other more experienced members of this forum. This will save not only save your wallet but you will end up with a nice watch that is authentic!

7. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 25, 2013

That case looks a bit too dinged and beat up for my tastes. Be patient and find something that really wins your heart.

8. BlackOrCrippled Jun 25, 2013

What would you say this watches value is considering the case condition then. I really like this watch and have been looking for a while, and as it will be my daily watch I'm not too concerned with its case condition - my main worry is firstly overpaying, and then finding out its a redial. The seller does offer a 7 day return though if not happy, if I took it to a watch maker would they easily be able to confirm if its an original dial?

9. BlackOrCrippled Jun 25, 2013

Just seen this. Asking for £450 but again hoping I could knock 20% off. 562 opposed to 565 movement and dial is worse condition but appears more original. Hands may again be relumed but I think are the correct hands at least / better done. Hasn't recently been serviced but working correctly. Am I being impatient or is this a potentially good buy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 26, 2013

There's not much difference between the 565 and the 562 except for the quick setting of the date on the 565. The hands on this 562 look to have lost their lume rather than being re-lumed (you can see the patina spots through the hour hand in the first picture)

IMO the price is too high for one in this condition.

11. BlackOrCrippled Jun 26, 2013

You are correct! Silly me. So maybe an offer of like £270/£300 and if they don't accept move on?

12. wwhntr Jun 26, 2013

What you are looking at is not an extraordinary uncommon model. I would be patient and wait for something better. The DeVille models seem to be a step up from what you're looking at. As I said before, I think you might luck upon a something better. Personally I would look for a Seamaster chronometer or a Constellation. The earlier ref 2577 Seamaster is nice. It has beefier lugs, wide bezel, and is around 35-36mm wide. It does not have a date and will likely be a bumper wind non chronometer 354 cal.

13. BlackOrCrippled Jun 27, 2013

Would you ever buy a watch that you haven't seen the movement or inside caseback?

There's a seamaster deville on ebay with a very bad condition crystal, but other than that actually looks quite good condition. From what I can tell looking at the dial it checks out, but they haven't said what movement or anything so its hard to tell. But its a bidding auction, and I think it could be picked up at a very good price due to its quite scratched crystal and caseback and poor description, but with some tlc I think it could be a good deal.

14. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2013

Listings for front loading watches often don't have movement shots. If the watch is honest, you can guess the shape of the movement going on the rest of the case, crown, and dial. Personally, I love scratched up crystals - it keeps the amateurs from bidding. If there's a few pictures of the face at different angles, you can tell if there's any damage to the dial or not if you think 3 dimensionally.

15. BlackOrCrippled Jun 27, 2013

I'll post some photos now. Yes, from looking at the different angles I think there's a few chips here and there, particularly at 3'oclock but other than that looks good condition. The caseback does appear a little rusty, is that a no-go sign for the movement or can a rusty caseback be quite common considering it has been up against a sweaty wrist all day.

I'll post some photos, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2013

I think that's nearly all crystal damage. While the watch is dirty, it appears to be in good shape. Go for it!

17. BlackOrCrippled Jun 27, 2013

With a service, new crystal, and possibly leather strap would that come to about £150?

If so, I was thinking maybe £200 potentially going up to £250. Is that a fair price. It doesn't seem like overpaying to me, and if I get it less then that would be a good deal. Do you think £200 might be a too little too win though.

18. BlackOrCrippled Jun 27, 2013

Is the 'A' on the Omega look okay to you. It seems a bit off centered too me, not sure if that means anything or if I'm seeing things.

[​IMG]

19. Hijak Jun 27, 2013

I think you might be right...

20. BlackOrCrippled Jun 27, 2013

Does that mean its likely a redial, or even fake, or do original seamasters still have some slight errors in their centering.