Forums Latest Members
  1. Moahunter Nov 30, 2017

2. marturx Nov 30, 2017

Tuning fork movements are way better timekeepers than mechanical movements, so why not?

Nice to see the UG-logo in the dial, as just that, a tuning fork. Inventive of the marketing people :)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. chunkythebulldog Nov 30, 2017

Yes it's a Chronometer as that is my old watch which was sold on OF 2 months ago. Would have been nice if the seller asked if it was okay to use my photo's.

Edited Nov 30, 2017
    Alpha, Lucasssssss and bimbim1207 like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 30, 2017

Why would a tuning fork movement be adjusted to various positions?

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 30, 2017

Shit, I done it agin!

Refresh before posting (repeat, hit self, repeat, hit self, re[eat).

6. bimbim1207 Nov 30, 2017

This was sold on OF few months back with original bracelet. Now the current owner took the bracelet and sell the watch head alone, too bad, otherwise I'd buy this immediately. Very nice watch, chronometre or not.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2017

Yes it is.

8. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

The movement in this UG is basically a Bulova Accutron 218. The Accutron movement has a tendency to exhibit positional error, particularly when the tuning fork tines are positioned straight up or straight down for extended periods. This is not likely to be a problem with the watch on a wrist. When ETA developed their tuning fork movement (as used in Omega tuning fork movements), they were aware of this tendency in the Accutron. So the ETA movement tuning fork was designed in a “H” shape which means it is counter-poised. So the ETA was designed to be more stable in these extreme positions. I am unaware of whether a “chronometer rated” tuning fork movement has to meet higher standards than a tuning fork movement that is not chronometer rated, be it a UG, Tissot, Omega, Accutron, or any other tuning fork watch, be it the ETA movement, or the Accutron. But in good condition, properly adjusted, these tuning fork movements are usually quite capable of being accurate to within one minute per month.

khmt2 likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2017

I would be very surprised if UG had been allowed to use that designation without the watches passing some kind of special testing.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 30, 2017

COSC has different standards for mechanical and quartz watches today, so I see no reason why there would not have been separate standards for tuning fork or other electronic watches back in the 1970’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

Someone will need to research this further.
    gatorcpa

11. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

The movement in the subject watch is basically an Accutron 218. At one time, Bulova owned Universal Geneva. Probably at about the time the subject watch was made. COSC standards for tuning fork watches? Considering tuning fork watches were quite capable of running within one minute per month, it wouldn’t surprise me that these watches would likely have no problem meeting whatever standards might have been enforced. Would the UG Chronometer have met an even higher standard? I doubt it.

12. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acctechesa.htm

This attachment indicates that the Accutron movement never did achieve chronometer standards. The subject UG is basically an Accutron. It also indicates the potentially higher accuracy performance of the ETA (ESA) tuning fork movement, and shows an Accutron tuning fork beside a counter balance ETA tuning fork.

valjoux72 and isnardi like this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 30, 2017

Yes, it's legit.

Here is one I use to own:

338014-80735a5b75736372c755e09afd654ca5.jpg
    bimbim1207 and Diabolik like this.