Forums Latest Members
  1. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My gramps gave me this supposed Omega automatic Seamaster DeVille. I wanted to check here before paying to have it authenticated (last option), on top of being recalibrated.

I've looked around and it seems that most of the photos I've seen, the "Swiss made" under the 6-marker is closer together than that of mine (photo), and also right below the marker as opposed sides of 6-marker (mine).

Most of the info on Google leaves me to think that the options of such watch are gold filled or solid gold. I don't see any indicator (kt) a on backplate, and I don't have the original strap so obviously that's out of the picture. It seems some of this model have the carat info inside the backplate, but I wont risk prying the back open, esp since it's an automatic.

I don't know much about this model. If you can authenticate this to be real, can you also tell if this is GF or solid gold? Or if they also made a gold plated version... Then is mine?

Please and thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2015

Hello and welcome.
    Congrats on the research you've done. You are right about the issue of the location of the "Swiss made". The dial has been repainted at some point. What we call a "redial". However, it is an authentic omega watch. The redial does significantly reduce its financial value to collectors, but not the authenticity or sentimental value to you.

I can't tell from the pics what colour the back of the watch is. Have a look between the lugs (obscured in the photos by the band. If it is gold filled it might say something there.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2015

Your Gramps had good taste, it's a genuine Omega Seamaster DeVille. If it is solid gold, it'll have markings between the lugs.

If gold filled it'll be inside the case.

Pity the dial was re-finished, but in days gone by it wasn't unusual to get it done as part of a service if it was dirty or damaged.

Don't try to prise the caseback off, you'll never do it.

The watch is opened from the front and will require a proper watchmaker to do it without damaging it.

It's well worth getting serviced and wearing and remembering your Gramps by.

4. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

THANK YOU so much. How much reduction [in price] would the redial cause? You were right, took out the strap and there it was--"14 k gold filled (which I don't even know the difference between that and gold plated; solid gold obviously means the whole thing is gold throughout)" with that info, plus the redial, how much would you say the worth of this is currently?
    image.jpg

5. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

Seriously, you guys are Wesome. Thanks for the tip of not prying the back open...as I spent a while trying to find a groove I can put the flat-head tool in with no prevail. Of course, thanks to you, now I know my rookie mistake and lack of knowledge with opening automatics (not that I'll try to, as per your warning), ha!

I replied to the person above with a photo, and indeed it was in between the lugs: 14k gold filled.

Thanks for authenticating the watch as well! I may inquire for the price of servicing such watch, because I do notice that the movement is off even after "charge".

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2015

Gold filled isn't solid gold, it is just one step up from gold plated. See here
    http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/omega/index.cgi?md=read;id=57606

Gold filled watches were usually American made (by Omega's authorised agents), which also reduces value.

The redial cuts value by at least a third. So I'd say the value is less than $500.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2015

Re servicing, where do you live? Cost is likely to be $200-300 plus parts.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2015

JimInOz likes this.
  9. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

10. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

Chicago. Was thinking one of the stores on Jewlry District.

11. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

Interesting--so even if the face says "Swiss made" it's not necessarily so? Aw :/

12. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

Redial = >500
    Gold filled & leather strap not omega = -300?

I'd guess worth of this would prob be $200.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2015

Swiss made refers to the movement/dial. These were imported into the USA to comply with import rules at the time.

The USA made case isn't a problem unless you are a fanatical anal WIS collector.

And don't worry about value too much. Just get it serviced and you'll have a wristful of memories.

Priceless.

14. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015

You are right in every way (pun and all)! Thanks, once again--I've learned a lot

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2015

16. timeisonmyside May 14, 2015