Forums Latest Members
  1. smokey069 May 23, 2015

I've been made an offer on a watch on ebay and won, but now the more research I do I'm finding that this watch doesn't show up in any of omega 's vintage database. The crown is a plain gold without the omega sig n on it. It's a cal 1110 movement. Here's the pics. Tell me what you think. Otis Frei doesn't even have parts for this watch.

$_3-5.jpeg $_3-4.jpeg $_3-3.jpeg $_3-2.jpeg $_3-1.jpeg
  2. TNTwatch May 23, 2015

Yes, it's real but undesirable model with non-in-house movement. Why did you do research after buying it though?

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog May 23, 2015

Yes, trying after you buy is a bit like not having sex before marriage - very adventurous, albeit risky!

These models were produced just post the Swiss watch crisis when Omega used the ETA 2892 (produced by the Swatch group, the same group that owned Omega, so its kinda not in-house but not out-house exactly) with some modifications depending on whether the movement was chronometer grade or not.

The ETA 2892 is a fabulous movement and certainly occupies a place in the Horological Hall of Fame, it's just that there are so many of them in so many brands, leading as suggested by TNT to them not being all that desirable amongst collectors.

So, if you paid a pittance or near-pittance for this mid-80s gold plate model, no harm done. The movement can be serviced almost anywhere and there are plenty of parts. But, if you want to own a few genuine vintage pieces, homework and a decision in respect to which models you wish to collect is very good advice.

Cheers

Desmond

smokey069, NT931 and TNTwatch like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2015

Indeed. The reason the 2892 is used by so many brands, is that it's a fantastic movement. I have serviced more of these than I can count, in various brands (working on one out of an IWC Portofino right now) and with various modifications, and they are all generally very solid movements.

I would certainly take this ETA movement over an "in house" Cal. 1001...in house does not guarantee quality.

Cheers, Al

5. TNTwatch May 24, 2015

From the user's perspective, the 2892 is truly fanstastic. In fact, I think it's rotor assembly is much superior than that of the often considered best vintage Omega calibre 56x series. There sure are reasons for it to be one of, if not, the most popular Swiss movements ever.

But all that superiority doesn't mean much for most Omega collectors. For me I'd take a watch with a good condition 1001 movement any time over an equivalent ETA derivative.

6. smokey069 May 24, 2015

Thank you for sharing all the info with me I really appreciate it. I felt like I was getting scammed because I couldn't find any information at all for this watch or parts for the case. But if what your telling me is correct I don't feel concerned. The person wanted 300 for the watch and he had a make an offer option, I had never done this before and wasn't really sure how it worked, made an offer of 240. The next night I got a message saying I won the bid. I was expecting a message from the person not to be immediately locked in. But maybe it alright.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 25, 2015

Do you feel the same way about all the Speedmaster Pro's with movements made by Lemania?

8. TNTwatch May 25, 2015

I did think about it when first encountered the Speedmasters. But there were no in-house chrono movement from Omega, and only few chrono providers for the whole industry. I didn't say it was a rational thing or anything with the in-house preference. Preference is personal and sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Even between Lemania made chrono movements 1040/1041 and 1045, the 1045 is way more popular while I think the 1040/1041 has the superior mechanical quality.