Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Aug 27, 2018

ranch2.jpg ranch2.jpg ranch3.jpg ranch4.jpg ranchero.jpg Hi there,
    OK OK I probably know the answer . Crown isn't original, case is pretty far gone, the movement needs an overhaul, and the dial...well you can see for yourself
    If this was anything than just any other Omega Ranchero 2990-1 I'd give it a generous value of 50 Bucks and an automatic pass, even for a self respecting bottom market feeder like me. But it is a Ranchero (though not the desirable dial- a variant of the 2990's that would normally say Seamaster) and as such, just a bit a little tempting. I'm fully aware that 60% of a value of a watch is generally regarded to be in the dial and one in this bad shape means practically worthless. the case back is genuine enough but the lugs are so worn and misshapen I can't tell if its original...maybe you can tell me
    What would you consider a realistic offer (I'm expecting answers from the price of a pint upwards...) and would you even try to restore it or gently place it's tired and broken body to RIP in your collection as an interesting bauble?

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 27, 2018

Have you ever been drunk at a party or bar, and left with a woman who was willing, but – ahem – not much to look at? If so, can you recall your reaction in the morning when you woke up? :rolleyes:

To continue the metaphor, this watch is "coyote ugly"...

3. chipsotoole Aug 27, 2018

Brilliant answer. So can I live with her as she is....is her character THAT good? Will we always have great fun and laughter filled times together , or will I almost immediately go looking for someone else?

toddle321 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Aug 27, 2018

I'll be blunt.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to buy that. Virtually everything on this watch that has any value is destroyed.

Kmart, Traveler, Tet and 14 others like this.
  5. cristos71 Aug 27, 2018

OMG that is a watch with absolutely no redeeming factors!

More Rancido than Ranchero, but I suppose if your idea of a project is starting with a case back and building up from there then go for it! :D

Kmart, Tet, merchandiser and 5 others like this.
  6. M'Bob Aug 27, 2018

From personal experience?

7. rcs914 Aug 27, 2018

What a stunning candidate for a redial and re-case :-D

8. chipsotoole Aug 27, 2018

Rancido...like it. No , I'm not a complete idiot as I'm not going to buy it. Seller wants 260 Euros. I was just wondering how many of you (if any at all) would want to take such a project on and at what price. Indifferent Rancheros seem to start at around 1400 Euros, an enterprising sort might be able to return it to its former glory without Frankenwatching it and turn a small profit..maybe..

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Aug 27, 2018

As the movement type is readily available, I'd say that the only way this would be attractive is if you had a Ranchero sans movement and wanted something that would fool the extract guys at Omega. If it had been a completely wrecked Speedmaster, the serial number would still have some value; with Rancheros not so much.

I love your optimistic view on things, Chips! :thumbsup:

noelekal and chipsotoole like this.
  10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 27, 2018

Only once... :rolleyes:

merchandiser and M'Bob like this.
  11. Rman Aug 27, 2018

RAUNCHERO

redpcar and merchandiser like this.
  12. Vintagewtchzilla Aug 27, 2018

RAGEchero

he should give you 250 euro that u take it :D

merchandiser likes this.
  13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 27, 2018

What if Winston Churchill wore it for the weekend before he gave it to a young American GI named Elvis Presley?:D

14. tamura Aug 27, 2018

2900-1 is not a ranchero case !?:cautious:

Bumper likes this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 27, 2018

Here at the "Home For Wayward Watches" we offer accommodations for wrinkly old things however we're not a mortuary.

chipsotoole likes this.
  16. michael22 Aug 27, 2018

Isn't the difference between a Seamaster & Ranchero the dial?
    If the dial is totally stuffed, it is just a wrecked Seamaster.

17. Biezmez Aug 28, 2018

Maybe going against the grain a bit, but if it was a bit cheaper I think I would pick it up. Primarily for two reasons:
    1. I've seen plenty of Ranchero/Seamaster conversions(mainly for the Swedish market) with a seamaster dial, but only a few Seamaster based dials with a Ranchero logo. That has tweeked my interest.
    2. The market for these watches is changing all the time, and what looks like a crappy deal now may actually be worthwhile a few years down the line.

That said, it would have to be cheap, very cheap. I think the most I would give is maybe 100Euro, get the watch working and have it as a conversation piece.

Regards
    Another self respecting bottom market feeder

Etp095 and chipsotoole like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Aug 28, 2018

I don't think that the dress Rancheros (gold cap cases, fanicer dials) is a particularly hot commodity at the moment and won't be anywhere soon. The attraction of the original Ranchero lies in the dial aesthetics and the stark functionality of the simple and robust handwound movement and relatively beefy SS case; apart from the movement these share little else. To me, it's a Seamaster with some curiosity value.

gemini4 likes this.
  19. tamura Aug 28, 2018

20. ConElPueblo Aug 28, 2018

The CK2900 is available as a Seamaster variant, hence "to me" in my post. With this I mean that there to me is no additional value in this specimen above that of a Seamaster in similar condtion - it is just a case variant, as what puts the Ranchero apart is mainly its dial. As for your non-watrproof statement, I would suggest you take a look at the caseback. These are waterproof to the same extent that a lot of Seamasters were; a snap-on caseback with a gasket.

EDIT: The above is pretty much all incorrect, as shown by Tamura in later posts! :D

Edited Aug 28, 2018