Forums Latest Members

Is this Planet Ocean 8900 too big for me?

1. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

Hi guys, I really need your help here :)
    I tried on this Planet Ocean 8900 (43.5mm) and wanted to know if you guys think it's too big for me (my wrist is about 6.5 inches). I'm not sure if the 8800 (39.5mm) version might be better for me. Note that I intend to get this watch with a steel bracelet.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/gsZpy

I also tried on the Seamaster 300 which is 41mm. Would be glad to know if you you think it fits me better / it looks better overall.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/9TOPJ

Thanks so much!

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

That size watch on that size wrist is big. But the effect of an oversized watch is often an aesthetic choice for you to live with. Or not.

I have a friend that has a 44mm Panerai. He has a 7,5 wrist and the watch looks ok on him, his girlfriend has about a 6. Something wrist and it looks amazing on her, worn slightly loose like a bracelet rather than a watch.

So, if you are asking the question you probably don’t feel comfortable with it, and if you do feel comfortable with it then, who cares about the answer?

3. ras47 Mar 25, 2018

That’s a lot of wrist presence for the 43.5mm Seamaster. Not a bad look at all if that’s your preference, but that needs to be the look you’re after if you choose that watch.

The 41mm looks more natural and more of a standard choice. For your wrist size I’d take a look at the 39.5mm version.

Tastes change over time. I was wearing the 45.5mm Seamaster with the orange bezel and orange 12-6-9 numerals. But then I have 7 3/4” wrists. Still, the watch seemed to enter a room before I did. That was my taste at the time - serious wrist presence. But it became too much for me. First I had the orange bezel replaced with a black one and that toned it down. But it was still a fairly massive watch. Now I go back and forth between a 40mm Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi and an Omega Co-Axial Speedmaster at 44.25mm. The Rolex wears a little larger than it’s actual 40mm and the Speedmaster wears a tad smaller than its 44.25mm. I’m thinking 42 might be my sweet spot (for now). Yours might be closer to 40 for a standard looking wrist presence. Just my 2c.

Doc Savage and Vox Optimatium like this.
  4. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

I don't really appreciate a watch for being oversized and disproportionate to my wrist. Could I ask what is your opinion about the SM300?

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

My opinion on the SM300? Regarding what, size? Design? I mean that’s very personal to my taste but.... great watch, not for me. Size still big for your wrist IMO. The vintage faux patina is beautiful but you have to be into it to like it, I’m not really.

I’d consider @ras47 advice on the 38.5 PO that’s a killer watch that will have strong presence on your wrist and retain all the elements you liked from the XL PO. It’s the best of all worlds, the watch that you liked at a manageable size.

6. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

Thanks for your reply! I did try a 40mm sub and it felt most natural for my wrist size. Then again you say that your GMT Rolex wears a little large so I assume it's the same case for the sub..?
    Anyway my question is which watch is more close to the sub in terms of proportions on-wrist? The 41mm or a 39.5mm PO?

Alright, thanks so much! Feel free to answer my question above with your opinion :)

7. drhombus24 Mar 25, 2018

I mean I guess the 300 is more proportional, but I am just a much bigger fan of the PO. I know it looks really chunky in the photo, but I think that’s just because of the way your hand is stretching your muscles around the wrist. Day to day, it should look much thinner. Maybe you should try the smaller PO?

I’ve been wrestling with whether my 45.5mm po is too big for me too. I have a 7inch wrist, and it probably is too big, but I also am hesitant to sell it and get something smaller. I think I can just about pull it off, or maybe I’m just saying that to justify keeping it... so maybe you could tell me what you think right back:). Whaddaya think?
    8F34E15F-EA1D-4B74-85C6-75FE61088519.jpeg D8D2D44E-4D72-43D3-AFEE-F41141669ACA.jpeg

larryganz and Nobel Prize like this.
  8. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

Thanks for your reply! :)
    To be honest the thickness doesn't look bad at all on your wrist. And about the size, I think it looks pretty similar to the 43.5 on my wrist. I mean it is a little big and a 43.5 might look better on you but I dont think its a deal breaker and you could probably stay with this PO.

drhombus24 likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

The 39.5 for a couple of reasons. The PO has more wrist presence and thickness than a Sub because of the shape, design and the Helium Valve...and mathematically .5 is closer than 1 :)

drhombus24 likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

I agree with you. I like the PO over the SM300 as well.

drhombus24 likes this.
  11. Pythonos41 Mar 25, 2018

I love the Planet Ocean, but i didn’t like the move from 42mm to 43.5mm. I think the 42mm PO 8500 is a great size for a PO, for the diameter. For thickness, the PO 2500 is where it’s at. With that said, the 43.5mm PO looks too big on your wrist, in my opinion.

Like others have said, the 300 fits your wrist size better and it would look awesome on a black and grey nato strap. Have you check out the Aqua Terra’s or the Speedmaster FOIS? The FOIS is a great size. I have big wrists and it still works.

Vox Optimatium and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

The biggest problem for me is the fact that I cannot try on the 39.5 before purchasing it. None of the Authorized Dealers here have it and I can only get it with a "special order". So my only option is to wait until I'm on my next trip abroad to try it in an Omega Boutique.
    Hey there!
    I don't really like the Speedmaster bezels and the Aqua Terra just seems too "dressy" for me, but I'll take another look at it!

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

An even bigger problem than that is that no amount of questioning is going to give you a better answer than trying it out. It’s an expensive purchase, either make the trip or buy with a return or exchange warranty. ( just be careful not to remove any seals etc

14. Pythonos41 Mar 25, 2018

Yeah, some Aqua Terra’s can be a bit
    Yeah, some Aqua Terra’s can be a bit dressy. They’re getting sportier though. I have my eye on this one.
    211AD600-CEB4-4A30-A7F1-DCC4C48E1BB1.jpeg

Korbus and Jerseyhammer like this.
  15. larryganz The cable guy Mar 25, 2018

Keep it.

16. larryganz The cable guy Mar 25, 2018

I’d get the 39.5mm Planet Ocean for your wrist. The SM300 MC is a better size than the 43.5mm Planet Ocean on you, but it still dwarfs your arm, and I prefer the Planet Ocean over the 300MC (and over the Submariner.)

Vox Optimatium, Theognosis and ag986 like this.
  17. ag986 Mar 25, 2018

I vote for the 39.5mm also. My wrist is 7.25+ and it wears borderline small on me, should look great on you.

Doc Savage and Vox Optimatium like this.
  18. ElayMarzuk Mar 25, 2018

Looks pretty good to be honest!
    Thanks mate!
    Cheers! Got any pictures with it by any chance?

19. ulackfocus Mar 25, 2018

....if I had a dollar for every time I've seen this exact question asked, I'd own a Patek.

:rolleyes:

Just another reason for returning to hibernation. ;)

ElayMarzuk likes this.
  20. Buck2466 Mar 25, 2018

If you have to ask.....