Forums Latest Members
  1. Nikola010 Jun 13, 2017

Hey guys, I found my fathers Omega a few weeks ago and i was wondering if you can tell me if it is real or fake, and if it is real for how much does it go and what is the model name. I dont really know much about watches so i really need your help! Thanks in advance! IMG_6543.JPG IMG_6544.JPG IMG_6545.JPG

Spruce likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 13, 2017

3. Nikola010 Jun 13, 2017

I really have no clue how to open the back haha, but i can record the movement and take a few more pictures if that will help.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 13, 2017

Take it to a watchmaker.

5. François Pépin Jun 13, 2017

Not a fake. But cannot say if it is fully legit without pics of the case back and the movement. Probably a caliber from the 600 series or a 286.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 13, 2017

Pretty sure you will find a nice Omega movement inside. Dial looks legit to me.

These watches did not have a model name, although some might share a case with certain Omega "Geneve" models.

Take it to a watchmaker and be sure to bring a camera.
    gatorcpa

7. RallyDiverOnly Jun 13, 2017

Easiest way to find out is send it in for service. They will replace all movement parts, crown, gaskets, and crystal. Remember to let them know know not to polish. The patina on this case gives it a unique warmt. I wouldn't flip it. It's a nice dress watch. You probably don't have the rep to get top dollar anyways. Your buyer quality will be low and you will sell at a deep discount.

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 13, 2017

Looks like an Omega cal. 286 ref ST131.001 @1962

9. Edward53 Jun 13, 2017

Huh???

Davidt and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. ICONO Jun 13, 2017

Welcome to the Forum

The watch and dial look perfectly legitimate to me too

As the 'Gator' says… see if you can source a local watchmaker…ask him to open the case…and then take some good, clear, in focus, images that show the inside of the case back ( there will be a serial number there ), and the movement itself, with its own number, as well

That additional information will help to date, & understand the watch

Good luck & look forward to seeing the photographs

11. RallyDiverOnly Jun 13, 2017

Huh? OP asked value. Just tossing my two cents in. It is hard selling watch online if you don't have a good sellers rating. Most folks shop the buyer. At least that is how I shop. If your rating is low it is hard to attract serious buyers that value vintage watches or watches with history. Generally, hard selling a watch when you are not in business of selling watch. I hope that clears up your apparent confusion with my opinion regarding the OPs comments.

12. Edward53 Jun 13, 2017

My confusion was the bit about replacing all movement parts and the crown. Where do you get that idea? Are you seriously suggesting it's a good thing? I agree it's a nice watch and it needs a service, which hopefully will consist of a good clean, a drop of oil and a new gasket and no more!

13. RallyDiverOnly Jun 13, 2017

Well I did not say all. I said the best way to authenticate is to send into Omega. In addition, maybe I should add ... they will replace worn out movement parts when you service with them including the crown if it is broken or not functioning. Seems like dial is in a newer condition, so it could have been serviced previously.

14. WhatYourWatchSay Jun 13, 2017

What type of case back is that, snap down or a one piece case?

15. Edward53 Jun 13, 2017

No!! Absolutely do NOT send it to Omega!! They will replace original parts with service parts, including the crown which will be totally the wrong one for this watch, and in the process they will destroy its originality which will impact severely on its collectability and its value. This has been said on this forum again and again by people who know what they are talking about. I suggest you spend some time reading here and hold off from giving advice to a newby until you have a better understanding of what's important in the care of vintage watches.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  16. RallyDiverOnly Jun 13, 2017

Reread what I wrote. The dial appears to be new. If OP were to sell the watch you would ding him on that. I get your point, but at this stage, I don't see how your advice is relavent. Most of the value for these pieces are based on dial condition and originality. Again, not enough info. If dial has been changed or redialed, I would consider Omega as an option, but yeah, I see your point.

17. François Pépin Jun 14, 2017

Well, I do not think sending the watch to Oméga is the best way to know if it legitimate. Posting it here is enough! And having this serviced by Omega would be very expansive, not to mention the issues raised above.

By the way, the dial looks good and matches the rest of the watch. A pristine dial is not always a redial or a replacement. But hard to be sure without better pics.

Edited Jun 14, 2017
    Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  18. RallyDiverOnly Jun 14, 2017

I am not gonna argue. That is great suggestion.

Edited Jun 14, 2017
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 14, 2017

Certainly to your budget.