Forums Latest Members
  1. telebears Jan 28, 2016

My dad has this old De Ville that is probably close to 40 years ago (he can't remember exactly when he got it). Unfortunately, it's no longer in working condition. One local authorized dealer said it would probably take at last $1,000 to fix by sending it back to Omega. Should we take it to another for a second opinion? We're in San Jose, CA. Is this worth fixing? Any thoughts?

I took some quick photos but can provide more in detail if you think it'll help.

dadswatch1.png dadswatch2.jpg
    Edited Jan 28, 2016
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 28, 2016

http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/

Paul's is in Sacramento. They love vintage Omega watches and have done a good job with several of mine. If the watch may be repaired it should be way under a thousand to repair it.

telebears likes this.
  3. DON Jan 29, 2016

If you plan on wearing it or your dad is. Then check and see if it's worth repairing. If no one is going to wear it. Back in the drawer

telebears likes this.
  4. alam Jan 29, 2016

Is it worth fixing? If it was my watch, I'd say yes. The consensus around here would be not to send to Omega for repairs, instead find an independent and competent watchmaker to service, this will be a less costly option and will better preserve the watch's original condition. I'm sure others around here can recommend reputable watchmakers in CA. I don't buy the $1K repair estimate.

telebears likes this.
  5. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 29, 2016

+1 for Paul's. They did great jobs on my Thoresen, Gubelin and Girard Perregaux.

telebears likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

That's about what Omega charges and they give a 2-year warranty on their work. It's also several times the value of the watch.

Paul's sounds like a good alternative. I've been meaning to contact them about a old Zodiac...:whistling:
    gatorcpa

telebears likes this.
  7. alam Jan 29, 2016

and I believe that...

and this is precisely what I meant about not buying the $1K repair estimate...

;)

telebears likes this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 29, 2016

An early production Sea Wolf (solid lume hands - no hack feature) is the very first watch I sent Paul's, after another mail order watch smith, "fixed" it, returning it as incapable of being wound while suggesting that I'd now have to shake it in order to wind it, relying on the automatic feature going forward. It would wind and run before I sent it off! So, I searched online for another 'smith who might provide satisfactory results and the search turned up Paul's.

Raimond at Paul's took the Sea Wolf in and pretty extensively rebuilt it but did it right this time. I was very pleased, pleased with the charges for the work and pleased with the results, especially since I'd already thrown money down the "Sea Wolf drain" at the other fellow. The Sea Wolf now ticks happily and reliably every time I wind it to wear it.

12-15 watches have been to Paul's since that Sea Wolf, including the Speedmaster, and I'm pleased with the shop's work and with their honesty. The rapport with the shop is as important to me as the work they do. They take the time to describe the work which is an education to me, give me the benefit of their personal opinion on vintage brands (they have a lot of respect for the vintage Omega), and return the watches more speedily than my low turn-around expectations require.

Of course they probably won't be so speedy now if they have to take on additional watch work because of recommendations.

telebears likes this.
  9. wsfarrell Jan 29, 2016

I'm seconding (thirding?) the recommendation for Paul's. You know the old saying "You can get it done cheaply, done quickly, or done with quality---pick two"? Well, Paul's still gives you all three. Worth a trip from San Jose if you like to look at pocket watches; they always have a couple dozen in the case, freshly overhauled.

telebears likes this.
  10. telebears Jan 29, 2016

thank you everyone! it's almost a consensus. looks like i'll have a trip to sacramento in my future.

i do think out of sentimental reasons i want to get the watch repaired for my dad. actually came up because i just made my first watch purchase (omega speedmaster '57) and he replied with a "oh yeah, my first watch was an omega too!".

thanks again everyone!

11. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 29, 2016

Let us know how it comes out!

telebears likes this.
  12. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 29, 2016

its a very expensive quotation...in the Phils it can be repaired for less than a hundred it there are no damaged parts...I bet the only needed service is to have it cleaned and oiled..

telebears likes this.
  13. Canuck Jan 29, 2016

The OP should not take a $1k quote seriously, any more than they should take "it can be repaired for less than one hundred if there are no damaged parts", seriously! Under $100.00 buys you a "dip 'n' swish", and the watch is certainly worthy of better treatment than that! Please let us know what the diagnosis and quote are.

14. telebears Jan 31, 2016

will do everyone, thanks!

15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jan 31, 2016

I don't have anything to add but thank you for posting the pics - I now know where the band to my frankenwatch came from.

telebears likes this.
  16. West Slope Feb 1, 2016

Another option is Roman at Precious Gems in Folsom on Sutter street. He just did my Mark 4.5 and I am very pleased with the results, so much so that I gave him two more watches to service.

http://www.precious-gems.com/

telebears likes this.
  17. telebears Feb 1, 2016

Minor update: I think getting to Sacramento will be tough for my dad but we are going with everyone's advice and going with a local repair shop right down the street: Kroman Watchworks. He seems to do good work and apparently my dad used to work with his mom. There's quite a backlog of work (6-8 weeks) but I'll give an update on how the results end up.

West Slope likes this.
  18. telebears Aug 30, 2017

For anyone interested, it look almost a year but we finally got the watch back. The problem is that they had to send away for parts since it was so old. When we first got the watch, it still didn't work, so we took it back and had the owner redo the work himself, now it works fine. Best guess is that he's the best person at the shop to do work.