Forums Latest Members

Is this Longines a redial?

1. BlueOtter Feb 4, 2019

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker on this forum but I am active on other forums such as WUS and on Instagram.
    I have a Longines watch with a non-serif font dial and I can’t seem to figure out if it is a redial or not. The watch houses a 19AS automatic movement so I would believe it was created in the early 50s or late 40s?

I initially thought that it was an original variant of the non-serif font dial because the letters looked pretty consistent with other original variants of the non-serif font watches and the letters look rather crisp. Also, the aging of the lume, and the watch in general is rather consistent. But then again, I am not too sure myself so I would like to seek some help from the community over here.
    Thank you very much and any input would be appreciated!!

Because the crystal is a little scratched up, I took a picture of the words with a macro lens in order to avoid any visual distortions.

Edited Feb 4, 2019
  2. cchen Feb 4, 2019

Its a redial. See original one:

IMG_0415.jpg
  3. BlueOtter Feb 4, 2019

Yup I have seen that one before. I believe that the model was marketed as the Longines Eagle or something.
    I was just thinking that there might potentially have been a chance that they used a non-serif dial.
    So can we conclusively say that it is a redial? And an older one at that?
    I cannot imagine this being a modern redial because of the aged lume.

4. bubba48 Feb 4, 2019

5. cchen Feb 4, 2019

6. Dan S Feb 4, 2019

I don't like the stubby printed markers outside of the applied hour markers.

7. Radiumpassion Feb 4, 2019

This is a tough one. Taking the whole dial in condideration I`m leaning towards original. Nice radium patina match on dial and hands too.

bubba48 likes this.
  8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 6, 2019

According to Patrick Linder's book, caliber 19AS was introduced in 1952.
    Sans-serif signatures can be found as early as 1940 (e.g. ref. 4630), and as late as the 1950's (see example below).

sans3.1.JPG
    sans3.2.JPG

As for the dial in question, I am curious about a few things. Firstly, should "Automatic" be printed somewhere? Secondly, the distance between the numerals and their respective squares looks quite a bit larger than on the example below. I also note that there are printed markings at 1, 2, 4, 5 etc. that come very close to the applied markings. Again, this differs from the example below, which has no such markings. I wonder if "Swiss" is printed at 6 o'clock? And if the movement has an "LXW" import mark on the balance cock?

Lognines Breguet numerals.JPG

Syrte and BlueOtter like this.
  9. Dan S Feb 6, 2019

Yes, this is what I mentioned in my comment above. None of the examples I found have printed markers and applied markers in the same place.

BlueOtter likes this.