Forums Latest Members
  1. chiko7734 Nov 15, 2012

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

Looks very nice to me. It was featured in Mondodec's Constellation Collectors Blog as a Star of the Month.

However, something about this seller makes me less than comfortable. Over $65 for postage and threats of a restocking fee?

Let's see how high this goes,
    gatorcpa

3. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respect Member chiko7734

This is one, extremely beautiful watch. Only if I had the money, you will not stand a chance. It reminds me of the beautiful Rolex Submariner 18k gold, top-hat. This Constellation is as attractive and very likely its price is only a fraction of that Rolex top-hat.

I am sure, you will never regret owning this spectacular piece.

Thank-you.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

Try sending something overseas, from Australia. It will cost an arm and a leg and that $65.00 is relatively cheap.

Thank-you.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Nice watch which will likely go for a premium price. I would have like the case to be sharper though - it has been polished a bit too much for my liking (especially for the high price it will probably end up selling for).

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

And not just polished, reshaped on the lugs in an attempt to make it "look" less polished.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member Seamonster,

I agree with you, except that the shipping price quoted is for a US domestic sale. Unless there is some private insurance charge (not mentioned in the listing) that I'm unaware of, that's a large charge, even for FedEx next day service.

I just think for a watch of this quality, the seller needs to be more transparent with the reasons for the out-of-the-ordinary charges.

Thanks,
    gatorcpa

8. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

I am sorry. I thought it is for overseas. I agree with you, then.

Thank-you.

9. chiko7734 Nov 16, 2012

Well it looks really nice, but I'm going to pass on it. It's definitely going for a price that's higher than I can pay right now.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Photos sell watches, this item is likely to prove that.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks the back of the dial suggests a redial?

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 16, 2012

What about it? I don't know what I should be looking for.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Never looked at it, but yes as it has a primer coat and the furniture feet are all just poking through with no sign of soldering or burring.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

And don't forget the notches on the dial sides as well.

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 16, 2012

It could be a redial. It is a 354, and as previously discussed, they have almost San serif - these may be too seriffed

16. Wiliam Nov 16, 2012

Hi,

Just to point few things out about the dial.

1. Primer coat is very normal on the back of the dial, to protect from rust or corrosion.

2. Soldering or burring marks are rarely done on any factory dials. Specially from 1950s dials. Easily will burn the front paint of the dial.

3. Notches or the sides of the dial right by furniture legs, are for purpose so you can take out the dial when need it too. Notches pointing direct to legs.

4. One other thing markers pins are fat, factory stamped, if it was redial you would see tiny slim marks pins, with heavy granted back to fit back markers as pins shorted.

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Primer coat was not cited as abnormal, it was the manor of the small feet sticking through. Funny I see so many 50s dials with burring?

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

William could you explain this in more detail as I am not sure exactly what you mean. Sorry for being dense, maybe it is the terminology.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

That's actually a rather detailed and interesting response, its a discussion above my paygrade but just out of interest, are you a collector or a dealer William? Welcome by the way

20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 16, 2012

These dials are silvered (plated) not painted.

This one looks spot on original.

What he is saying is that on a refinished dial the figures are pressed out using a sharp instrument like a broach and they leave telltale signs of their removal when reattached.

Figures are not soldered on, they riveted in place. The bits you see from the back side are the ends of the rivets molded into the back of the figures. They are slightly longer than the thickness of the dial once inserted from the front the feet are gently squished so that they fatten slightly and are then ground flush.