Forums Latest Members
  1. ZZ6 Apr 2, 2017

hi all,
    I recently purchased an omega watch and fear it's a fake? Does anybody have any ideas? The guy I brought it off reassured me it was original but looking at your website I think I've been had :(
    Thanks,
    ZZ6

IMG_3659.JPG
    Edited Apr 2, 2017
  2. RJwatches Apr 2, 2017

It's a redial for sure, but I don't think it's a fake, open the caseback and we will be able to tell you more

blacktiger and ZZ6 like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 2, 2017

Good chance it isn't a fake, but it's one of the worst redials I've seen this year.

4. ZZ6 Apr 2, 2017

Thanks so much for your help. It's a pressure fitted back so i need to get the right tools to open. I'll post as soon as I have them.

5. ZZ6 Apr 2, 2017

Thanks Jim. If it proves not to be a fake I'm going to change the dial for sure

6. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 2, 2017

You didn't say how you acquired it. As long as you paid with a CC, you're 100% in the right if you choose to return it for a full refund. Any good CC will back you up for something like this (unless he disclosed the fact that the dial was redone).

If you paid in cash, you're completely out of luck.

ZZ6 likes this.
  7. ZZ6 Apr 2, 2017

Thanks for the note. I purchased it at a vintage store and it was a cash only purchase so I'm sadly not protected.

8. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 2, 2017

They don't have any sort of return policy? Take your receipt, speak with the owner--even if they won't refund you, maybe they'll offer a store credit. I'd take literally anything of value over a nasty redial like that.

If they won't rectify the situation, be sure to let them know you'll be leaving reviews for that shop (yelp, google reviews, etc). Make your voice heard and warn others of their possibly unethical behavior. I for one almost always check reviews before giving my business to non-chain shops.

AveConscientia likes this.
  9. ZZ6 Apr 2, 2017

Thanks for all of your advice.. they don't accept refunds and I wasn't told it was a redial..I'm not that clued up on watches do you think it's not worth the money I paid. It cost £300. I haven't been able to open the back yet to check further.. feeling a little flat :(

mokofoko likes this.
  10. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 2, 2017

You asked them after explaining that it was a redial (a fact that was conveniently undisclosed by the person on duty)? It's one thing if they have a general no-refunds policy--it may be another in this case, especially if the seller was unaware of the issue (seems unlikely). Again, I'd ask for store credit if they refuse a refund. I'd confront the exact person who sold the watch--if he won't even admit that that is the exact watch you bought, you'll know they're significantly less than honest (something you can add to your reviews).

In your shoes, I'd only be happy with that watch if I could get a correct replacement dial (assuming the movement and everything else is genuine omega). I'm unsure how much the proper dial would cost, but you can count on it being at least 150-200 (with another 50 or so to swap the dial) on ebay when they do pop up. You might want to just sell the darn thing (disclosing the issue) and wash your hands of it.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it--you win some and lose some. If you're looking on the bright side, the overall loss is rather small. You could have been taken for far more with a higher end counterfeit, which you wouldn't even be able to resell.

For future reference, unless you know exactly what you're looking at (and that includes having them let you look under the caseback), a cash payment should be avoided at all costs. Credit card protections do cover B&M shops like this (to some extent), and you should have been able to force a return with a chargeback.

Edited Apr 2, 2017