Forums Latest Members

Is this dial/movement combination correct?

1. Adam2941 Dec 24, 2015

rainbowfix likes this.
  2. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

Got to be redial or something wrong at that price.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 24, 2015

$850 is now the price of a redialed or disfunctional Polerouter?

4. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

Dunno. Is it? For a watch in the £500's price range it looks very cheap for that watch. But I could be wrong and I am still learning. Your one of our experts on the forum, so any information you could share would be much appreciated.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 25, 2015

For $850 dollars, I would expect to receive a fully original and very good condition Polerouter. Even with todays UG fanaticism, I don't see even near excellent examples sell for over $1,000.

Two years ago, they sold for about $500-700.

As for the watch, the seconds hand is a replacement and.. I don't have a good feeling about the dial. I'd say redial - I don't like the way that ink looks, but I'm too tired to examine it with full scrutiny.

6. PatrickJ Dec 25, 2015

I also did not like the overall appearance of the dial. So they had not been as valuable as I assumed they could be, I have very little experience of this watch and more of Omega from the 60s but still at a learning stage. I have learned one thing with vintage. It is not as simple as going on ebay or even dare I say buying from trusted sellers private or store based.. Yes we can trust but even the trusted can trust someone who did not get it 100% as it can happen on the odd occasion. There is no substitute for research and homework and even then an aspect of the watch can be wrong. We are dealing with things that are very old here. Trusted dealers may get the dial and movement correct but they have no problem over charging for over polished examples on mass with the seller being oblivious to the fact.

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 25, 2015

I must say that dealers often ask between $800-$1,500 for nice Polerouter examples. I was talking about Ebay, which is where the item was selling.

Always buy on Ebay if you can. Better prices to be had!

8. ELV web Dec 25, 2015

I think it needs a small qualification, "As long as you do enough home work!" ::bleh::

aap, PatrickJ and Modest_Proposal like this.
  9. PatrickJ Dec 25, 2015

Ebay is a better when I have the knowledge to match.

10. Adam2941 Dec 27, 2015

I do not think this dial is a redial. It looks all original to me, and in quite good vintage condition. The point is that the cal. 215-9 movement should go with a later style of dial with the later, large "U" logo, not the small shield logo on this dial. The case is beautiful and unpolished, and I think the hands are original too. It just appears that for some reason the movement was swapped out with a later movement. The current asking price would be high but still within the OK range if it had the correct movement. I think it is a Franken watch.