Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt1987 Mar 7, 2014

Hello all,

I bought this De Ville off Ebay about a year ago, wondering if the dial has been redone. I believe, although I'm not 100% sure, that its a 166.020. I'm sorry about the crappy pic this was as best as I could get my iphone to do.

In better lighting the dial fonts look more silver-ish then white in color. Also, sorry about the huge-ness of the pic too, obviously I'm no expert... :thumbsdown:
    I know from this forum that black is a rare dial color and I'm also concerned with the alignment of the 'swiss made' at the bottom. I'm leaning towards it being a redial.

Any help is appreciated!

Matt

Deville pic.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 7, 2014

Hard to tell without clearer pics but it looks OK to me.

The Ω symbol and OMEGA are applied metal I presume.

The Swiss Made is centred correctly, Omega centred the two words, not one either side of the six.

Is the tension ring silver or gold (hard to tell)

Others may be able to add more.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 7, 2014

It's not the tension ring, it's the movement retainer ring, Jim.

4. Matt1987 Mar 7, 2014

The omega symbol and OMEGA are applied metal.

The tension ring is silver, the movement retainer ring is gold. Or at least looks like gold.

Thanks for the replies!

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 7, 2014

Looks original to me.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 7, 2014

[​IMG]

The Cross of the T's in AUTOMATIC look a bit short.

[​IMG]

Original T's

and the top of the second s in Seamaster is a bit too short.

[​IMG]

7. ulackfocus Mar 7, 2014

It's probably a redial, but a half decent one. The lack of serifs make me think that.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 7, 2014

::facepalm1::

I should have been wearing my specs, I thought the stem was a reflection of the marker and date bezel in the tension ring :oops:

The Seamster font looks a bit too heavy as well (now that I can see it ;))

Not a bad re-dial though.

9. Señor ruiz Mar 11, 2014

Hi all,
    I've been trying to educate myself on picking out seamaster de ville redials and feel like I've looked at every post here on the subject. I appreciate everyone's input and knowledge on the subject. I'm trying to do the best I can so I don't have to bug anybody else on asking if it's an obvious redial. I have a few questions I am hoping you all could help me with.
    1. Based on the feedback above, I'm assuming that the seamaster de ville has the same font regardless of the year made? Just want to make sure that is not a bad assumption
    2. Through the old catalogs, forum and ebay pics, and omega vintage database, I haven't seen a seamaster de ville with a dark dial- mostly champagne and silver. Did they come with all different colors? Also, I've seen omegas with waffle and linen dials. Are there other textures they came in? Thanks in advance.

10. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2014

SMDV dials did come in quadrant (crosshairs with different colors in each fourth), clamshell and linen patterns which usually were off-white, champagne, or gold colored. They also, rarely, had a black base with ink that matched the hands and dial furniture. I don't believe Omega ever made a waffle pattern dial SMDV. The font of Seamaster and DEVILLE were the same for every year I think.

11. Señor ruiz Mar 11, 2014

Thanks for the info. As far as the versions for the "Swiss made", I've seen it as "Swiss", "T Swiss made T" , "Swiss made T", and "- Swiss made -" . Are these specific to any model or can you find different versions on the same model?

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 11, 2014

To save you time, bid and win this one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OMEGA-SEAMAS...80?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f31c1d41c&_uhb=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

13. ulackfocus Mar 15, 2014

14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 15, 2014

Remember the 168004 rose gold capped which went over 3K from same seller ? Haven't seen it re listed.