Forums Latest Members

Is this Constellation worth the price? Your advice please

1. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

2. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

Apologies - edited the subject to be clearer.

3. JohnSteed May 7, 2015

If it ticks all your boxes? Sure

But I sort of don't like the medallion. Anyway...as it's not clear how much experience you have, a few words----->

1. Search this website (omega archives)

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database

2. type in the caseback reference number.....2652 in this case

3. click on see details

4. read and compare

For example, amongst other points, check the caliber number (i.e.,
    movement) is same on your target watch

Browse and get a feel for the various models

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-constellations-show-and-tell.19186/

Go slow

Happy hunting

4. lillatroll May 7, 2015

You can look at eBay advanced search type in the model number and click on sold to give you an idea of what this model has sold for previously. Obviously condition etc needs to be taken in to consideration. It looks fairly honest but do not know much about this watch model or what a really good example looks like or would cost. The case number and movement number seem to be correct atleast.

Edited May 7, 2015
  5. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

Thanks John. I have very little experience so your advice is most helpful.

Could I ask what you mean by the medallion?

Thanks again.

6. lillatroll May 7, 2015

He means the medalian on the back of the watch. the case might have been polished. A lot of collectors don't like this.

7. ulackfocus May 7, 2015

Not might have been - definitely was polished. The bezel's center bevel is rounded down a bit. It also looks like somebody tried to pry the medallion off the back. There's pitting on the outside of the case back too, but the movement is in perfect shape with a very nice dial - pitting usually denotes some sort of moisture damage. Doesn't seem to have intruded into the watch though - which is rare. The serial number puts it at 1952 so it would be one of the very first Constellations at a time when unmarked Globemasters were still around. Was that decagon crown available back then? It even has the Naiad symbol on it, which I didn't think started til a few years later.

There's just too many questions about this watch for me to be sure of it's originality. It's a little high on the asking price too. Wait for more opinions though.

8. Hijak May 7, 2015

Case looks a bit too polished and the medallion on case back looks like it has issues. At the top of medallion it looks malformed as if it was popped out and damaged.

9. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

Thanks Lillatroll. I didn't know you could do that. Unfortunately there's not much out there on this model.

10. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

@ulackfocus and @Hijak

Wow! You guys have a ridiculous eye for detail. I would not have not noticed the malformed medallion in a million years.

With everything considered what would you guys price range the watch at? There's a "make an offer" option so I could put a more reasonable offer.

11. lillatroll May 7, 2015

You could try typing in the model number in Google and add for sale. From what I found it seems a bit expensive considering it has been polished and the things that ulackfocus pointed out.
    The hardest part of collecting watches is being patient mainly because waiting for the best watch for your budget is hard. I find the looking and learning is actually the fun bit.

12. Hijak May 7, 2015

Because of the over polishing and damaged medallion I wouldn't pay anywhere near what's being asked...really I'd just pass on it. As Dennis mentioned above there are other issues as well.:(

13. Lulu Bear May 7, 2015

Thank you. I'll follow your collective wisdom and patiently continue the search for my first baby.

14. cristos71 May 7, 2015

For me the value in that watch is all in the dial which I like very much.

However the value I place on that dial in that watch is nowhere near comparable to the price being asked.

If the case was in the same condition as the dial I would consider making an offer, but it is unfortunately too far gone for that.

15. TNTwatch May 7, 2015

Beside the polished case, tarnished bezel and problematic medallion, everything else on the watch looks great including the early crown. Price may be close to reasonable (which can be bargained down further) if you're in the UK. The biggest issue, though, is this is from a non-recommended seller, former forum member here.

16. ulackfocus May 7, 2015

It's not an early crown - those decagon crowns have a much lower profile. The later replacements were that tall.

Oh shit, didn't even notice that! Now that watch is even MORE SUSPECT. :cautious:

Stay far away. If I were betting, I'd be wagering it's a franken.

17. TNTwatch May 7, 2015

Not exactly, as they are not interchangeable since they have different tube sizes, 2.5mm vs 2.0mm. I believe all the bumper Constellations have the thicker/taller crown, the thinner/flatter one doesn't even fit.

18. Difeer May 7, 2015

This seller has the tendency to exaggerate the condition of his watches. Although this is the norm for ebay listings, we do know that this seller actually has rather extensive knowledge of watches. So it is quite impossible he would miss those problems/flaws. Bottomline, be careful of this seller.