Forums Latest Members
  1. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 6, 2019

Hello everybody

I was wondering if this 18k solid case was beyond repairing/cleaning. I was thinking about buying this watch but I'm a bit concerned about the case condition. Dial seems to be in fairly decent condition as far as I can see through the scratched crystal. Dial is also original which is I big plus to me.

Could you clean or perhaps do a light buff for the case?
    or is the case in this watch in too bad condition, and should I pass the opportunity?

Thank you in advantage for the replys.

11610341_fullsize-2.jpg 11610343_fullsize.jpg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 6, 2019

I can't tell from those photos that there's anything wrong with the case. What are you concerned about? If you have more photos, please post them.

3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 6, 2019

Wait. Somebody asking before buying? That watch looks great from what I can see.

Mark020 and efauser like this.
  4. Railmaster1957 May 6, 2019

For me a good choice if price is right.

5. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 6, 2019

I'm worried about the black dent/flick between 11 and 12.

6. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 6, 2019

Just curious what do you think would be a right price?

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 6, 2019

I can't tell what that actually is, from the photo quality. Is this a Japanese seller?

8. Theluglife May 6, 2019

The bezel on these are solid gold so I suppose if you were so inclined, you could get the mark between 11 and 12 polished/refinished without having to worry about going through the gold plating and explosing the metal underneath.

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 6, 2019

Hi @Ekonomer-Tuomas
    Slightly polished case, the lugs have lost the sharp definition that solid gold would have had originally, but it is still quite a nice watch.
    As above the ding could be fluff as there is 'black stuff'' all the way down that side of the bezel. (IMHO it is probably a ding)
    You can have the case cleaned in a sonic bath, which would get rid of the dirt in the ding (if it is one) and the case would look much better.
    Light polishing would only degrade the watch further but being solid gold, you could have it professionally refinished (I wouldn't)
    The dial is a little bit grubby but looks original.
    The GP BOR has some loss of plating on the edges.
    I would want to see pictures of the medallion and movement and inner case back as it will likely be offered at a tidy sum.

As I said, quite a nice watch but don't go paying top dollar for it.
    What is the asking price? -then we can advise if it is sensible or not.

10. Railmaster1957 May 7, 2019

Their estimate is pretty realistic

11. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 7, 2019

Thank you for your insightful answer.
    Those are very good views you offered and I think the watch doesn't look too bad for 1500eur. After a bit of cleaning the watch will probably look much better than in pictures above. Those pictures have some weird lightning on them as the case looks so light, and dial is not "popping" as they normally do.

I offered 1200 eur. for the watch but don't think it will go for that low.

Peemacgee likes this.
  12. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 7, 2019

Here is the picture of caseback.
    Engraving doesn't bother me, even though with steel/gold version replacing it wouldn't be a problem. Now it kind of is/would be.

Medallion looks ok-ish. Might be replaced because its in so good condition and there might be glue just under the graved 4.
    11610346_fullsize.jpg

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 7, 2019

if the engraving doesn't bother you and you are not such a stickler for a perfect case, I think for all that gold, and a pie-pan, 1,500euros is a pretty good price - bearing in mind that it would be a 3000euro watch if it was really sharp. (sans engraving)
    I think that is 'DNA' as the medallion on a gold watch is part of the case back and not applied as per the SS cases.
    I would still want to see inside to make sure everything is correct before spending your money.

Davidt and Ekonomer-Tuomas like this.
  14. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer May 7, 2019

I think the watch is very dirty but the case is still very nice. Nothing a good cleaning will not rectify

Ekonomer-Tuomas likes this.
  15. peterkirk01 May 7, 2019

I think that this watch looks beautiful just as it is. Really nice soft gold colour. In this day and age most people want vintage items to look new and not used. If people want new, buy new. If people want vintage buy vintage and enjoy thinking about all the experiences that the item went through before you got it. Just my thoughts.

Ekonomer-Tuomas and Davidt like this.