Forums Latest Members
  1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

Hi ...

I always loved the 120 , when I sold my near mint example was between 94 and 97 ... to a local watch nut who was helping out on another project asked me about them. I said I can show you a mint example for reference only and it was not for sale. Well my mistake was showing my example to him. He kept bothering me EVERY chance he could and at one point I just gave in.

Sad but true

Good Hunting

bill Sohne

dragoman and TNTwatch like this.
  2. TNTwatch Apr 3, 2016

You surely have a lot of interesting stories over the years, and I hope, if you haven't told them all on PuristSPro, that you have them written down somewhere so they can be past on to later generations.

Best regards,
    Tony

3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

Hi Tony

I have plenty of stories... some I forget then remember years later...

Too many years too many watches, clocks, chronometres, phonographs !

Will post when I can ad value .
    Best regards
    Bill

TNTwatch likes this.
  4. dragoman Apr 3, 2016

And they have a dynamic companion

[​IMG]

Of course I was aware of fake Dynamic dials and fake dynamic bracelets... but now cases are fake as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-OLD-STOC...373345?hash=item3d16506821:g:xNYAAOSwQgpXARYzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

it's a crying shame!!

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. TNTwatch Apr 3, 2016

That looks impressively of high quality for a complicated case. They mentioned ETA movement, do you happen to know which one?

6. TNTwatch Apr 3, 2016

I originally asked Gemini4 to post pictures of the backs with the intention to find out if the case was a genuine variant or not, but then promptly forgot the purpose and glossed over when I saw pictures of just the one back. I was jolted a bit when more than one respected members expressed some doubts over it. I'm really glad that you and everyone jumped in and helped exposing these scams.

One more detail I noticed but forgot to add above was the shape of the mouth of the fake seahorse also looks off. I think this along with the angry eye and crude forehead shape together created a strange portrait of the seahorse that didn't jive with Bill's impressive memory.

About your dial, it's certainly genuine with original print. As to the wonky lume, if it looks spongy like the other plots then it must be just as old and original.

Cheers,
    Tony

ChrisN likes this.
  7. dragoman Apr 4, 2016

I have no idea about which movement would it take.

I had seen those fake dials before at the bay, but this is the first time I see the complete kit.

It reminds me about the Fortis Marinemaster supercompressor scam that has been developing in the last years (and of which the seller has an example). At the beginning, cases were genuine (or so it was thought), although all of them of the April 70 batch. Now everything is fake, including the case, that no longer is a supercompressor, but a look-alike, and they even give you a Fortis-branded rotor:

[​IMG]

Things are getting scary out there.

TNTwatch likes this.