Forums Latest Members
  1. kpa Jan 28, 2015

Hello everybody!
    Could you help me with this beauty? Seems to be original?
    30T2 15 JEWELS.
    thanks,
    Silviu

omega 30T2.JPG omega 30T2 mvt.JPG
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 28, 2015

What do you mean by original?

I can assure you the dial did not originally look like that when it left the Omega factory.

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. kpa Jan 29, 2015

thank you shaun.

You say that the dial was replaced? What exactly "the dial did not originally look like that" means?
    I wish to know if all, dial, case, movement are original. and
    If the watch left the factory in this setup.

Unfortunately I didn't find another one like this.

Any mention/suggestion will be welcome. thanks.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2015

5. kpa Jan 29, 2015

thanks STANDY. I'm missing something regarding that link.

but, is this Original Dial, Redial or Fake dial? In my opinion is not a Bad redial.
    I'm not a real collector but I appreciate an Original Dial. I have some watches but not an Omega until now.

I observed that the crown is peaked like in this photo...

6. kpa Jan 29, 2015

more photos...

omega 30T2 back.JPG omega 30T2 bach f.JPG
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

if this is a redial, then it's a ridiculously good one. I'm inclined to say it is an original, unfinished dial. Though without a close-up, can't say for sure. One thing to watch out for is the uneven oxidation on the sub-dial compared to the rest of the dial. I'd say the crown is a replacement. I'm used to seeing the pointed crown as well.

Some dealers are charging a premium for these watches, and I don't know why. From a collecting standpoint, I'd say stay away and not lose any sleep over it.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2015

How much are they asking for it ?

Its a redial.
    I would buy a original dial with a bit of patina that would probably be cheaper than that.

Some buy a $200 original Omega, Then polish it and give it a redial and try to sell for $1000

9. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

What makes you say redial with absolute certainty?

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2015

The next 5 posts that come along after this one ::popcorn::

or

you could put the case back numbers into the Omega database or google and do a bit of research

SpikiSpikester and lando like this.
  11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 29, 2015

the lack of swiss or swiss made, the logo is just dodgy, the fonts on the numbers and in the case of our esteemed member Standy I would guess at having looked at 1,000's of originals, reading the books and generally doing the research

italy1861 and STANDY like this.
  12. kpa Jan 29, 2015

13. kpa Jan 29, 2015

I forgot to mention, it is an auction.

14. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

I wasn't doubting your expertise. Just wanted to see if you had any specific observations. The point is well-taken about research. I thought this watch and another one I saw (http://www.carsandwatches.com/minty-omega-oversize-calatrava/) were similar, but very distinct differences upon further review.

15. TNTwatch Jan 29, 2015

I did some looking around and did not find any conclusive evidence that this is a redial. Old watches like this one don't always have Swiss Made on the dial so lacking of it is not an evidence. The logo looks just fine to me based on this relatively small picture, bigger pic may show differently. There is some light patina indicating this is an old dial, consistent and appropriate for the watch. Nothing else seems out of sort. If this is in fact a redial, it must be old and very good in quality that even 2 experienced members here could not point out any conclusive evidence except citing impressions based on... experience.;)

The watch that jordn found is actually a redial since the second and minute indices are not aligned and the 7h printing is spilled over the subdial.

PS: My impression on the OP's watch actually leans toward redial just because I haven't seen enough of these old watches. We need a bit more here: bigger/clear pictures of the dial or the back of it, and someone with more experience and more convincing evidences/analyses.

Omega-Flat-Groot.jpg
    Edited Jan 29, 2015
    Geo! and rolexfantastic like this.
  16. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

It might just be a quality control issue. The provenance of these war-time watches (other than the military watches) are bit hazy to say the least. I've seen arabic numerals spilling over onto the sub-dial on a few of these early Omegas (one example where the six spilling in http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-30t2-sub-seconds-ck2639.20347/). Markers not lining up is very suspicious, but there aren't any tell-tale signs of a redial other than that. I just advise people to stay away from watches like this because there are too many unknowns, and they're not particularly collectible.

17. TNTwatch Jan 29, 2015

It could certainly be a quality control issue, but I'm not sure if bad quality is any better than redial when good quality is abundant.

18. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

Couldn't agree more

19. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 29, 2015

hey sorry if none of this was very helpful kpa. My initial, off-hand thought was that it was an original dial, but I'm leaning towards redial now. Like I said before, the patina of the sub-dial doesn't match the dial, and after a closer look, the font of the 2 (at both 12 and 2) is one I've never seen on these dials. If this was a Longines watch, more could be found out about the watch, but Omega's record keeping wasn't and isn't as good as Longines.

If you are insistent on finding out more, I would try to find an english speaking (unless you speak Italian) member of http://orologi.forumfree.it/. That's where most of the collectors of these earlier Omegas are. Gun to my head? Not an original watch.

20. kpa Jan 29, 2015

thank you jordn.

Unfortunately the auction expire in less than three days. Thanks anyway for your support.

"the patina of the sub-dial doesn't match the dial"
    Could you be more precise? What you refer to "sub-dial"?

"the font of the 2 (at both 12 and 2) is one I've never seen on these dials"
    Now, I wonder, why someone works to the dial and not respect an original one?

Why on ebay are so many Omega from Italy? :)