Forums Latest Members
  1. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

There is a vintage jewlerer on the Burlington arcade in central London that even Omega endorse and recommend.

They charge very very high prices starting from £1750 for even stainless steel vintage models.

But here is the thing. We all know a redial takes away the watches character, collectIbility and desirability. However, these guys have the dials repainted and refinished but by Omega themselves.

To me this still does not feel correct. But it is Omega doing it. Mind you Omega today are not the same company they were from 1940 - 1972.

What are the members thoughts on this?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 4, 2015

Who put omega in charge of vintage collecting? Who cares what they say? Do you rely on them for the authenticity or value of your pieces? (We're in charge of that!)

If you wanna know how authoritative they are, send them a nice 2998 and see what they do to it.

cicindela, Barking mad and marturx like this.
  3. marturx Apr 4, 2015

Word!

4. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

I agree. I think it should be original, my 1962 Seamaster dial is not perfect but original and would rather leave it alone. You repaint a dial the watch will loose character.

The new Omega is not the same as old Omega that is for sure, only enthusiasts can know.

Wondering who to trust for servicing in london? What should I pay for servicing an auto cal 565 and manual cal 600. I did my homework and have been quoted 250 to 340 each watch from old established antique jewlerers. Mind you it is all about recommendations and who do you trust.

5. Lukeeesteve Apr 4, 2015

Any redial of that nature typically reduces the collectability and price of a watch.... So I would pay accordingly. That said the timepieces I collect are based on what I love and personally deem desirable...not based on what others are hot and crazy about. - the result, I have items that cost a bit of $ that most people would not personally buy.

6. lillatroll Apr 4, 2015

Swiss Time Service are highly recommend ed by a lot of members. I have sent my watch to @stefan who is a member here. He was also recommended here. It has only just been sent but I don't think anyone from here would recommend someone who they didn't think was up to the job so I am confident that he will do a top job.

7. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

Thanks for info on swiss time services, great website. What is there guideline service price on a manual wind and for a automatic from 1960s era? Wondered if you had an idea or know what other members have been charged. I have emailed them, tried calling but their phone number is not connecting,

it is better to pay more $ £ for an original dial for sure. My seamaster dial has dots on but rather that than a redial looking all new. See pic.

20150326_103607.jpg 20150328_183109.jpg 20150322_121644.jpg
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2015

You are dealing with Somlo, a private company. 95% of what they say it bullsht. Omega does not do re-dials, if it needs a dial that Omega no longer has, Omega sends it out to a private re-finisher, just like any other watchmaker.
    We have members that have bought watches where they were out & out lied to. (Told a replacement dial from a watch made 50 years later for a different model was vintage original)
    They have told some people that they are Omega.
    They say they are endorsed because the send watches to Omega for movement work. Their watches are more over polished than even Omega would do.
    And finally, as you noticed, their prices are highly inflated. They do always have a few gems, but you will pay through the nose.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 4, 2015

Subjective, of course, but from my perspective your original dial is very attractive, and the spots do not detract in any significant way.

There is, of course, such a thing as unattractive patina, but I wouldn't put your example anywhere near that category.

Regards,

Tony C.

10. lillatroll Apr 4, 2015

I was quoted 400 pounds, which is not unreasonable for what they do. The reason I did not use them was because I was worried they would do too much and it would look too shiney. I like my watch to look its age. of course I don't know if this would be the result.

11. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

Thank you Steve. You have confirmed what I suspected, it all looked rather odd. Perfect vintage watches to order, that to my understanding is not right. Yes you can pick up original dials if your lucky that look not perfect but almost. That is so much better than having one that is new in appearence, and you can tell it has been painted. I have spoke to them on two occasions and did not feel happy. The only watch dealer I get on with is Austin Kaye, their not the cheapest but have given me good advice.

12. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

Thank you Tony, I rather like the seamaster.

13. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

I agree 400 is ok. But like you sir it would bother me looking at a vintage watch and it looking so clean and new. My 62 year old mother who has no interest in watches would look at a somlo watch. You know the first thing she would say? How can a 50 year old watch look so new. I have two vintage Omega, the dials are not sparking new. By any means!

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2015

If you want a watch in better condition to the one you have do what we all do wait for one to come around and buy it. Keep the one you have and save and look for the better.

I would prefer the condition condition condition more than redial condition condition
    We all have started with less than perfect examples on our way to the perfect watch at some time.

Thats why flipping in this game is good for two people sometime,s.

Barking mad likes this.
  15. PatrickJ Apr 4, 2015

I see your point Standy. I am quite new to owning vintage, so will sort it's self out in time.