Forums Latest Members
  1. cimo Jun 2, 2018

Hi everyone,

Took a chance on this one, and even after receiving the piece I am having trouble discerning whether it is a redial.

Part of the problem is I can't find many other examples of this timepiece. Would appreciate your input.

Longines ref. 1012
    Cal 23Z

Thanks!

IMG_7018.JPG IMG_7019.JPG IMG_7023.JPG IMG_7024.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 2, 2018

Not a Longines expert but I'd say its a redial.

Don't like the way the V bleeds into the sub-dial nor that the outline on the Longines logo is off.

Tophership likes this.
  3. Tophership Jun 2, 2018

I have to agree, definately not an expert by any stretch but I feel like the other markers don’t line up across the dial.

4. cimo Jun 2, 2018

Interesting. Thank you for input. Here are my observations and why I am finding it difficult to determine:

Evidence of dial possibly being original:

Dial alignment is actually pretty good. Makers are spaced well and text/logo angles are in line with center of dial as well as subdial crosshair.

Print sharpness is very good. I took a loupe to the dial and markers, logo, and font are all very sharp. Definitely not done by hand.

Patina on dial and case suggests originality (at best) or a very old redial (at worst).

Texture on dial is brushed metallic. Almost all redials I've seen have gloss or matte paint, not metallic finishes.

Evidence of redial:

The lip of the subdial is rather soft. I have seen this on some redialed Omegas.

Print alignment of logo is off. Metallic gold paint is shifted slightly right of the flying wing. However, the logo printing itself is very sharp.

Metallic dial finish could be the result of dial being cleaned previously.

I have been unable to find other examples of this reference with original dials to compare.

So far, inconclusive.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 2, 2018

I think it’s a redial too. Letters are a little funny, the insignia isn’t quite right and the dial looks pretty crude. But you have it in hand.

6. cimo Jun 2, 2018

I took some more photos which make me think it may well be a redial. It is a decent one, considering I am having such a difficult time discerning such. But the logo printing on this close up is questionable.

Could an email to Longines yield any information? I know they are very forthcoming with their records most of the time.
    IMG_7026.JPG IMG_7029.JPG

7. bubba48 Jun 3, 2018

A very bad redial

Syrte likes this.
  8. Fialetti Jun 3, 2018

Definitely a redial, for the reasons already stated.

9. Radiumpassion Jun 3, 2018

Sorry, but that logo does not look good IMO

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 3, 2018

Among other things, anytime that you find a sub-dial register reduced to a simple cross-hair, assume the worst.

Edited Jun 3, 2018