Forums Latest Members
  1. fbd223 Jan 12, 2016

2. Davidt Jan 12, 2016

Real as in fake or correct?

It is a transitional, with the correct serial, 68 caseback, aml dial etc but it looks to have had a recent service with a new bezel, bracelet and hands, although at least the old, correct bezel is included.

My feeling is that the dial plots look rough as does the original bezel. 18 months ago this would be expensive. Might be not too far off in today's market.

3. igatomic Jan 12, 2016

Judging by the condition of the bezel, somebody has been giving this watch some wrist time over the past 48 years. If you factor in buying a correct band, this doesn't seem overly expensive given the recent spike in prices...

4. blubarb Jan 12, 2016

Hands are replacemets, incorrect bezel but correct included - would you be happy with an incorrect bezel or happier with a heavily weathered bezel. Is that a 26mil serial, I can't make it out. I am sure it is 26mil then correct for the reference. Personally it doesn't sing to me as I think there are better examples of 145022-68s but I don't think they come up that often. How bad do you want a transitional? On a closer look, I would agree with Davidt3449, the only thing is that I don't think the price has dropped for these references, if anything the other way. I think this is inexpensive because it's just not a very attractive piece even with the correct bezel in place - which also raises the question why isn't it on the watch even a battered correct bezel has to be preferred, doesn't it? Is there a problem with fitting, maybe not, but worth finding out I suppose if you're keen on it. Interested to hear what the experienced Members say.

Edited Jan 12, 2016
  5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 12, 2016

I kicked the tires on this one, but given that I already have a couple, just wasn't worth it to add a less attractive piece that would take some work to piece together. I have no issue with the DON being beat-up and the plots, while not the cleanest, aren't all that bad. Biggest thing to me is the replacement hands. You can try to artificially age them, or you can source other hands that look similar. For me, it wasn't worth the effort. For someone looking to snag a true -68 transitional though, I think it can turn out pretty well with the right bezel and a new set of hands.

250scr likes this.
  6. ibis888 Jan 12, 2016

IMHO - the hands would be the deal breaker for me...

7. fbd223 Jan 12, 2016

The hands are why I decided to pass... I like the "survivor" look but trying to find the hands might be more than it's worth

8. Davidt Jan 12, 2016

If I was happy with everything else, the hands certainly wouldn't stop me buying this reference.

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 12, 2016

+1, hands are one of the easiest issues to address. Still, exercise caution, but hands are not so bad.

250scr likes this.
  10. robocaspar Jan 12, 2016

Seems like several transitional 68s have hit the market recently

11. nxw1969 Jan 12, 2016

I was debating over this one, but as someone mentioned above, it doesn't look that attractive.

The case looks refinished to me and the Matt look doesn't look right (to me at least)