Forums Latest Members
  1. DG GW Dec 25, 2014

I saw this on eBay. I do not think it real. The second one I saw from Russia in a week.

$_57.jpg $_58.jpg $_59.jpg $_60.jpg $_61.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 25, 2014

This watch is actually quite genuine. At least the movement and case are real. It could be a converted ladies pocketwatch with an Omega replacement dial. This was done quite often in the 1920's when wristwatches became popular with men.

My guess is that this particular conversion was done relatively recently. The workmanship on the lugs is rather crude, although it could be just be a later repair. The hands are just wrong, but correct ones are fairly easily found.

I would not break the bank for this one, but I wouldn't just dismiss it as a fake either.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. Hijak Dec 26, 2014

A dead giveaway that a suspected watch is a pocket watch conversion, is having the crown at the three o'clock position while its sub-dial is at the nine o'clock position. Or if it's crown is at twelve o'clock and sub dial at six, have seen these too.

4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 26, 2014

Of course it is!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2014

Yes, if an open faced (Lepine) watch is converted, the crown will be directly opposite the sub-seconds dial, so if the original dial is used it will be fairly obvious.

But the fact that the crown is 90 degrees from the sub-seconds dial is not an indicator that the watch was always a wrist watch. If a hunter (Savonnette) watch is converted it will also have the crown 90 degrees from the sub-seconds dial.

The layout may confirm it is a converted pocket watch, but will not necessarily confirm it isn't.

Cheers, Al